When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Schwinn New World

-
Congrats on the new New World @Oilit ! ...... I've been trying to find an early 47 year stamped SA hub and the earliest one I remember seeing was a 47 - 7. SirMike might be the owner of that one now and I think that one I came across when it was picked up by Matt aka mbstude. Here's one that was also on a Continental. Matt had another Continental with a serial real close to your NW and some info is posted below. It would be interesting to know how many weeks/months it was from the time the raw hub shells were stamped to the time Schwinn had them on the assembly line. I'd take an educated guess and say it was to 6-8 weeks.

1599971792089.png

1599971481474.png

Congrats on the new New World @Oilit ! ...... I've been trying to find an early 47 year stamped SA hub and the earliest one I remember seeing was a 47 - 7. SirMike might be the owner of that one now and I think that one I came across when it was picked up by Matt aka mbstude. Here's one that was also on a Continental. Matt had another Continental with a serial real close to your NW and some info is posted below. It would be interesting to know how many weeks/months it was from the time the raw hub shells were stamped to the time Schwinn had them on the assembly line. I'd take an educated guess and say it was to 6-8 weeks.

View attachment 1265538

View attachment 1265537
Thank you!
Interesting that hub you posted still doesn't have the "Three-Speed" stamp, when the 1949 that @Gavin posted does. I've wondered about the dates on the hubs too. 6 to 8 weeks sounds reasonable, I get the impression the hubs were pretty high value and they didn't leave them around to collect dust. Gavin's bike:

According to this postcard, John's Bicycles was established in 1909. Pasadena was probably a lot smaller back then!

Just hit me in the head after looking at your posting above. Pasadena was in LA County so the G in your stamping is most likely a town designation. There are three G towns in LA County.

GardenaSeptember 11, 1930
58,829​
GlendaleFebruary 15, 1906
203,054​
GlendoraNovember 13, 1911
50,073​

I also have no firm idea on when date stamping resumed on the WWII era hubs. The no-date hubs I've seen appeared on bikes from immediately before the war and with a couple years after. The blue Continental had a 47 date code, if I recall correctly. I sold it back to Matt when I moved back to New England.

At one time I thought it might be export-related because the 36 hole hubs were mainly for export (the English used 40 hole for the most part). But then I came across a couple no-date hubs with 40 holes drilled (I have one on a pre-war Phillips roadster), so that went out as well.

I've seen some 1950s era hubs with no date codes, but they had silver cones and splined drivers, so these are kind of a separate issue than the WWII era ones with threaded drivers.

The one place I have not really checked is Tony Hadland's new Hub of the Universe book about Sturmey. Maybe there's an explanation in there, I just haven't had a chance to read though it yet.

Just hit me in the head after looking at your posting above. Pasadena was in LA County so the G in your stamping is most likely a town designation. There are three G towns in LA County.

GardenaSeptember 11, 1930
58,829​
GlendaleFebruary 15, 1906
203,054​
GlendoraNovember 13, 1911
50,073​
That makes sense. According to Wikipedia, L.A. county has a greater land area than Delaware and Rhode Island combined, and a larger population than 41 of the 50 states, so if this was some kind of registration system, they needed a way to narrow it down!

View attachment 1265538

View attachment 1265537
Your post sent me looking for Matt's other bike and it took some digging but I found it. You're right, the serial is real close, and going by the ad, the rear hub looks identical. Here are the links:
And the Continental he sold to @SirMike1983 and then bought back is a really nice example. I can see how that would cause second thoughts!

Last edited:
Your post sent me looking for Matt's other bike and it took some digging but I found it. Your right, the serial is real close, and going by the ad, the rear hub looks identical. Here are the links:
And the Continental he sold to @SirMike1983 and then bought back is a really nice example. I can see how that would cause second thoughts!

It was a nice bike. I kept the black New World and sold back the Continental because I just got more attached to the New World. The Continental was a nicer, lighter, faster bike. But I had just gotten attached to the New World for some reason. I took the proceeds and bought a 1951 Raleigh Clubman though. So I did not end up with that much more free space in the end.

Back