When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950's Schwinn Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pezsox

On Training Wheels
My mother-in-laws family was given these 2 bikes in the 60's and she asked me to do some research on them for her. As far as she knows they have been in her garage for the last 2 years, and previously only had new tires put on them. I ran a cross reference of the serial #'s but still had a few questions. I just joined this forum so please let me know if i posted in the wrong spot! lol

Using the Serial Number lookup on https://bikehistory.org/serial-number.html there are two possible dates for the boys bike frame.
Serial #N39946
Streamliner - Built: 10/14 to 10/25 of 1954 or Built: 09/21 to 09/24 of 1956 (Schwinn used this number twice apparently)
Any idea of which year this could be?

Using the Serial Number lookup on https://bikehistory.org/serial-number.html there are two possible dates for the girls bike frame.
Serial #E/F 37634 (cant tell exactly without removing wheel)
I believe a Meteor or Leader - Built: 9/16-9/19 or 11/4-11/8 of 1952
Any idea which model this could be?

She wanted me to try and sell them for her or at the very least look into getting her some more info for her. Thanks for any help.

IMG_5192.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

The site you used for serial # is wrong as often as it is right. The girl's bike is a 1952 and the boy's is 1954. Both are in the condition most collectors like to find them - mostly original and un-restored. The boy's bike has the wrong seat and the girl's bike has the wrong grips. Everything else appears to be correct. I will defer offering an estimate of value to others with more knowledge than me, they will chime in.

is the girls a Meteor or a Leader? I have only gone by paint schemes and headlight in thinking it is one of the 2

It is a Leader - has truss rods and Delta fenderlight. By the way, leave them dirty & dusty if you're planning to sell.

She was hoping to sell to someone in the Northwest so we didn't have to mess with shipping and boxing them. No clue as to what they are worth or actually what they were up to this point. So far, you have given me more than I knew before! lol. They have downsized and would like to clear up the space. I wasn't sure about lights, baskets, seats, grips, pedals, etc.. and I am sure that all affects the price. I do appreciate any help.

The baskets are add ons that really don't affect the value one way or other. A woman in Canada was seeking an estimate on an almost identical pair she was seeking to buy. I told her the girl's was worth between $350. - $500. and the boy's was between $400. - $600. Naturally someone chimed in that I was crazy and had estimated way too high. I based it on the condition, originality and features. Hers both had locking springer front forks, nice S-2 wheels, nice rear racks, decent chrome and nice chain guards. You're right about location being very important concerning value, and west coast bikes (especially California) do really well. I'm not sure about WA. I'm pretty sure others will see your post and offer advice & assistance, you might even get a local sale offer. Good luck to you.

I wish I had the tanks on these things, I am guessing those are the most expensive parts.

The deluxe Streamliner did come with tanks and fender light. Not sure of the Leader. They are complete as they sit.

Last edited:
Would anyone have an opinion on value? Is there anything else glaringly missing or easily replaceable?

That Rocket Ray light on the girls bike belongs on the Streamliner, the girls bike had a torpedo light. Also the name Leader or Meteor were not used in 1952 and I think Pat has his catalogs mixed up on that bike history site. He says the Leader was from 51 thru 53 but that's not correct.

Back