When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Troxel saddle spring question

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi folks,

I need to replace the missing spring on this 1955 Troxel saddle. Is there a way to tell by this photo of the saddle undercarriage if it takes two left springs, or a left/right set?

Thanks!

1562149854668.png

Every seat I've torn apart to clean, fix, etc. has always had a left and a right spring. Make sure when you put it back together that you have the right one on the right side. PM if you don't know how to tell. Also, a tip I learned, is to set the "preload" (inside) the spring nut at equal distances from the end of the threaded area, usually, a measurement of 3/4" or so is a good place to start. If the nut is uneven in that area, one side of the rear of the seat will set higher and look bad. Also, the preload is important to the function and integrity of the spring working, but not too much and giving it a no-bounce at all feel.

Last edited:
Back