When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Black Phantom Excelsior

-

SPhantom

Look Ma, No Hands!
Can anyone give me more info on the Excelsior badged early Phantoms, mine is a 51. I have looked on-line and can’t find much info about how many were made or what years? Thanks, Eric

7BD45267-6C1F-4B37-90D5-DE5014170DB0.jpeg

Why not post good pics of the bikes? Excelsior was an in-house Schwinn brand dating back to when Schwinn bought Excelsior about 1912.

Most of the Phantoms had the Schwinn oval head badge but the early one did have a few other badges. Never seen that particular badge used On a Phantom though. Owner swap out most likely. All Phantoms had chrome S-2 rims also.

Yes, I have the correct wheels for the 51 not installed yet. I was told the screw holes would be in a different location if it had standard oval badge. I have found a few others in the county, both are early 50, 51 like mine. I am no expert and don't know if the info is correct. That’s why I was asking if anyone else knew. Thanks.

I posted pics in the Phantom thread. Here is all my Phantoms, the 51 is the bottom right one.

View attachment 1738887
My 51 panther has the same badge. I’m pretty sure the hole spacing is closer together than the large oval badge. I have a early 50 green phantom that has a planes and trains badge too. They seem to be less common for sure. The large oval schwinn is the common badge.

My 51 panther has the same badge. I’m pretty sure the hole spacing is closer together than the large oval badge. I have a early 50 green phantom that has a planes and trains badge too. They seem to be less common for sure. The large oval schwinn is the common badge. View attachment 1738889
View attachment 1738890

View attachment 1738892
Thanks, Jim. That’s what I was told. The holes are different for screws and that how you can tell it’s original. THANK YOU!

Was that sprocket used on a 51? Havent seen that before if it is original to the bike.
I don’t think they used that sprocket on the early ones at all. I don’t think that sprocket happened until 57 or so in the phantoms. Should be the 52 tooth sprocket

Back