When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Colson Grill Tank Cushioner

-

srfndoc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Close to the finish line on this one (minus the missing front light which I'm on the hunt for) so wanted to throw it up here. Purchased off the cabe with a handful of pics, you never know what you are going to get. It arrived a week later mostly intact and I began by breaking down the bike for a lube and tune and to fix any issues. Issues found included a broken front chainguard mount, non-functional cushioner fork, rear Model D grinding and both rims needing truing.

A little TIG repair on the broken chainguard mount and it was back in action. The cushioner fork was much bigger project. To start the front axle was stripped pretty bad on both sides and someone had tightened up the custom barrel nuts over that stripped thread causing their threads to get damaged. I actually cut the axle behind the damaged section so I could thread the barrel nuts off without doing any further damage. Then they required some time with a tap to clean up the threads. Thankfully those barrel nuts were saved and are working excellent now. An NOS ND axle/cones/bearings/nuts (thanks @lounging ) completed the work on the cushioner fork.

Rebuilt the Model D hub. Rims were cleaned up and trued and new tubes/tires installed. All painted parts were gently cleaned and waxed to preserve the original paint. Now its back together and ready for some rides.

Beautiful deluxe lady Imperial!! Im glad someone saved it from being parted out!

Those fenders are AWESOME! Considering Colsons "flash chrome" held up for crap on those post war bikes...

Found the correct front light for this bike - They didn't use a standard Delta ball light but a custom version with the script on top replaced with some feather detail and different bezel/mount arrangement. I picked this light up recently, stripped the multiple paint layers and added the missing lens and bezel screw:

0CAAB50D-61FE-40DC-9190-A5C11CF15474 (Medium).JPG

1999C9E0-19D3-423A-947D-0E821331CCFC (Medium).JPG

IMG_3230 (Medium).jpg

IMG_3232 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Back