When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 phantom ??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

krazikev

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I wound up getting this phantom and it is a 1951 but wondering if the SN shows that the frame is a real phantom here it is but how do I determine a real phantom frame ?

Last edited:
So where is the number stamped? BTW rather than start a separate thread for each question on the same topic you can reply to your original thread. That way you have everything in one place. V/r Shawn

So where is the number stamped? BTW rather than start a separate thread for each question on the same topic you can reply to your original thread. That way you have everything in one place. V/r Shawn
On the bottom is this a real phantom ? SN shows 1951 how does one determine its a phantom frame from that number ? Thanks for your time

Last edited:
The serial number tells you nothing about the model. I can take any Schwinn cantilever frame from late '49 to '59 and make a Phantom which is why I do not mess with restored Phantoms. From the pics I saw that you posted on the other thread It looks like it is a real Phantom that has been painted over. You may get lucky with some Goof Off, acetone, or lacquer thinner and carefully remove the over paint. V/r Shawn

I used as described by Shawn, "acetone very carefully" on a Schwinn phantom which had
been house spray painted blue.
The sprayed blue came off to reveal a red phantom. The original red was faded in parts.
I bought it at a low price and also because it was a complete bike with original parts.
I own several originals and seen others who
own original Phantoms with original parts
that I can tell if the saddle, pedals, fenders are
original or reproduction parts.

Nothing wrong with repo parts as long as they don't advertise it as all original and asking a very high price when I know it's not all original.

The guy who sold me the painted phantom which was given to him by a late uncle...
had no use for it.
He described it as an old "peewee herman",
very heavy with no shifting speeds.
It was out in the back with no protection from the weather.
Luckily, I managed to salvage it before it rusted away.

Last edited:
Back