When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Roadmaster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GoodLifeBikes

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked up this Roadmaster yesterday. Should be a fun little project.

20211007_151644.jpg

20211007_151649.jpg

20211007_151652.jpg

20211007_151703.jpg

20211007_151710.jpg

20211007_151717.jpg

20211007_151737.jpg

20211007_151740.jpg

20211007_151911.jpg

There was one of these on Ebay recently, but this is a bike you don't see very often and it looks original except for the paint. I think AMF quit building lightweights after 1953 in favor of importing English bikes, and didn't start back until sometime in the later '60's. Going by Phil's chart, this is late '51 or maybe early '52. Have you got any good close-ups of the rear hub? I'm guessing that's a Hercules Synchro-Shift trigger so the hub may be Hercules too. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
There was one of these on Ebay recently, but this is a bike you don't see very often and it looks original except for the paint. I think AMF quit building lightweights after 1953 in favor of importing English bikes, and didn't start back until sometime in the later '60's. Going by Phil's chart, this is late '51 or maybe early '52. Have you got any good close-ups of the rear hub? I'm guessing that's a Hercules Synchro-Shift trigger so the hub may be Hercules too. Thanks for posting!
20220424_120137.jpg

Looks like Sturmey Archer

View attachment 1613227
Looks like Sturmey Archer
I've seen more '53/54 Flying Falcons with Brampton hubs, but I've seen a couple with Sturmey-Archer also, so I'd guess that's original to the bike. CWC (and AMF) must have bought them wherever they could, maybe that's why the catalog just says "English three speed". Schwinn offered three speeds on the New World from before WWII, but the CWC catalogs don't show three speeds on the lightweights until sometime after the war. I wonder if that industrial green paint means it was used in a manufacturing plant?

Last edited:
It looks like your hub is dated 1953, but according to Phil Marshall's list, the serial would date to the end of 1951. That seems like a big gap, but these may not have been fast selling bikes. For 1953 AMF named the lightweight the "Whippet".

1953 AMF RM Whippet.jpg

Interesting looking wheelset - alloy hub, double-butted spokes, and grey rims (alloy? stainless? or dull plating?). Rim spec is 599mm (the old 26 x 1.375), which was long in the tooth by the 1950s (Schwinn going to 597mm, others importing English bikes with 590mm, etc). Bike has been housepainted, but it's something you find often enough. What is the writing on the calipers? Looks like the boys' model was 21 inch frame only (no tall frame option). Neat project.

Interesting looking wheelset - alloy hub, double-butted spokes, and grey rims (alloy? stainless? or dull plating?). Rim spec is 599mm (the old 26 x 1.375), which was long in the tooth by the 1950s (Schwinn going to 597mm, others importing English bikes with 590mm, etc). Bike has been housepainted, but it's something you find often enough. What is the writing on the calipers? Looks like the boys' model was 21 inch frame only (no tall frame option). Neat project.
I noticed those rims as well. It looks like the English lightweights flooding the market in the early '50's put paid to that size. But I still don't know when they were introduced. Maybe 1939?

Back