When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Rudge Aero Clubman #125

-
-----

Can the Rudge experts explain how it is that some examples receive the hand chainwheel and some not?

Does it have more to do with quality level or with when manufactured?

Have no knowledge of the marque, hence this silly question.

Thanks for any information.

-----
I have no idea and it is a good question. I have a 1947 Rudge Whitworth with full chaincase. It has the Hand Of Ulster chain ring and you would never see it except during maintenance. I also had a '59 Rudge with the very plain chainring. The one on this '51 is a 2 piece chain ring.

Yes, the bars were bare above the brake levers (and your levers appear to be located lower on the drops than usual). As far as grips - I will defer to someone with more knowledge, but if it were mine I would just tape the lower ends with 2 or 3 wraps of cotton.
Here is where they are now. Pretty comfortable. Look more normal?
RAC01.jpg

I have no idea and it is a good question. I have a 1947 Rudge Whitworth with full chaincase. It has the Hand Of Ulster chain ring and you would never see it except during maintenance. I also had a '59 Rudge with the very plain chainring. The one on this '51 is a 2 piece chain ring.

-----

Thanks so much for the response! ;)

Have never seen a Hand of Ulster chainset where the chainwheel was removable. Do such exist?

Perhaps it was the case that top quality models such as this with the Reynolds tubing and Williams C34 chainset with its replaceable chainwheel did not receive the hand.

Finished project looks "just right" - congratulations on a fine job. :smile:

Those mudguards you located have the perfect look for the machine.

---

Reynolds question for the experts -

Noticed that the cycle's tubing transfer proclaims plain gauge tubing including blades and stays. It seems that this tubeset disappeared (was withdrawn?) at some point. Many frames were produced in Britain and France during the '60's and '70's with the three main tubes 531 plain gauge but never saw any from that era with this transfer. Am I in error to think the set must have been withdrawn at some point?

---

Your locus: "So now ah knowz whar all o' them winderz ah seez on houses har in Californie comz frumm!"

-----

Last edited:
-----

Thanks so much for the response! ;)

Have never seen a Hand of Ulster chainset where the chainwheel was removable. Do such exist?

Perhaps it was the case that top quality models such as this with the Reynolds tubing and Williams C34 chainset with its replaceable chainwheel did not receive the hand.

Finished project looks "just right" - congratulations on a fine job. :smile:

Those mudguards you located have the perfect look for the machine.

---

Reynolds question for the experts -

Noticed that the cycle's tubing transfer proclaims plain gauge tubing including blades and stays. It seems that this tubeset disappeared (was withdrawn?) at some point. Many frames were produced in Britain and France during the '60's and '70's with the three main tubes plain gauge but never saw any from that era with this transfer. Am I in error to think the set must have been withdrawn at some point?

---

Your locus: "So now ah knowz whar all o' them winderz ah seez on houses har in Californie comz frumm!"

-----
I don't know if they made a two piece chain ring for the Hand Of Ulster.
Thanks for the kind compliments.

-----

Fork crown appears to wear a partial chrome plated sheet steel cap.

If this were removed during the course of disassembly/cleaning the crown's surface beneath the cap would have provided a good clue as to the original colour prior to weathering.

Did you record an image of this?

---

There is a dark line on the downtube right where it enters the shell on the non-drive side. Hope this be simply dirt or a scratch and not a crack.

-----

Paint on these bikes is very thin. If you try and "bring back the shine" You'll take the color off. Clean it good with mild soap & water. Then I'd try a past wax. The decals should be coated but again caution is advised. Copal oil varnish should be used but you no longer can buy it

Back