When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Rudge Aero Clubman #125

-
I concur, just clean up the paint around the decals, address the rust on the bright parts, and service the bearings. That is a beautiful bike.
Thanks! I think it was well ridden over the years! Not really abused just not left to gather dust. I gathered that from all the patina and the Schwinn bike pads on the rear!

Looks like it cleaned up well. I would go with that look - no reason for harsh measures here. You have reached the bike's natural current condition and it isn't worth going to harsher methods. Use that method consistently on the whole, re-assemble and ride.

Looks like it cleaned up well. I would go with that look - no reason for harsh measures here. You have reached the bike's natural current condition and it isn't worth going to harsher methods. Use that method consistently on the whole, re-assemble and ride.
Thanks. That's my plan now. I did get a little aggressive with the top tube in one place. There is another bike just like this online and it looks about the same color wise. So I'll live with it. After all, it's 67 years old!

I took this out for a trail ride this last week and it was much easier to pedal (46x17) than I thought and quite fast! Mostly on flat trails, though, I'm sure. It looks like to me that the bars originally had some grips on the drops only. Would that be right? The rest of the bars would be bare, correct? What should I be looking for as grips?

Yes, the bars were bare above the brake levers (and your levers appear to be located lower on the drops than usual). As far as grips - I will defer to someone with more knowledge, but if it were mine I would just tape the lower ends with 2 or 3 wraps of cotton.

Yes, the bars were bare above the brake levers (and your levers appear to be located lower on the drops than usual). As far as grips - I will defer to someone with more knowledge, but if it were mine I would just tape the lower ends with 2 or 3 wraps of cotton.
I think that was an early picture of it. The brake levers are higher up now. This bike is actually quite comfortable in the drops. I'm surprised. I think I'll just go with the bar wrap. I noticed another one just like it online and that's what they did.

-----

Can the Rudge experts explain how it is that some examples receive the hand chainwheel and some not?

Does it have more to do with quality level or with when manufactured?

Have no knowledge of the marque, hence this silly question.

Thanks for any information.

-----

Probably Britainnia or Constrictor grips would be my pick, particularly the longer black grips. I think they were being reproduced and a shop up in Mass. had them. The tops probably would be bare, but I would be inclined to do a few wraps of Newbaums tape up top if you ride on the bar tops much. I have a 1951 Raleigh Clubman waiting for reasselbly and setup, and this is how I will go at least. Set it up your way if you are going to ride. Don't ride in pain just to match a catalog image.

Back