When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Rudge Aero Clubman #125

-
-----

Fork crown appears to wear a partial chrome plated sheet steel cap.

If this were removed during the course of disassembly/cleaning the crown's surface beneath the cap would have provided a good clue as to the original colour prior to weathering.

Did you record an image of this?

---

There is a dark line on the downtube right where it enters the shell on the non-drive side. Hope this be simply dirt or a scratch and not a crack.

-----
I was not able to get the crown off. I tried, but decided to pick my battles and not risk bending it. I did see under the shifter cable clamp the true color. Absolutely beautiful! Good eye....I'll check on that possible crack tonight.

-----

Thanks for the response.

You did a thoroughly wonderful job with the bike.

Not attempting to suggest any changes.

One would need a fork crown racer remover in their tool kit in order to access the cap.

Just a possible idea to advance the investigation... :wink:

-----

-----

Thanks for the response.

You did a thoroughly wonderful job with the bike.

Not attempting to suggest any changes.

One would need a fork crown racer remover in their tool kit in order to access the cap.

Just a possible idea to advance the investigation... :wink:

-----
Thank you! I am always curious when I get into a bike to see what the steer tube color looks like. I figure that is probably the true color. I was quite surprised when I got rid of a '59 Rudge (small frame) bike. I believe it was originally red, but had been sprayed blue. I salvaged the headbadge and under that was the shiniest, smoothest black paint I'd ever seen! Odd.
Here is the best example of the orange I could find under the cable clamps.
ORANGE10.jpg

-----

Thanks so much.

On my monitor the colour looks as though it might be described as an orange-gold-copper flambouyant...but then am an oldtimer with imperfect vision. :blush:

Member @sam 's post about all Rudges receiving a black under/base coast would explain mark seen down by bottom bracket shell.

-----

-----

Thanks so much for sharing this great resource! :)

Greatly appreciated.

-----

That's neat to see! I have looked at H Lloyd's and see that I can actually buy the decals and I could probably get close to the paint color, BUT don't worry as I don't plan on it. If you notice my bike does not have wing nuts or an AC hub. I read somewhere that means it's an export model. It has a 1951 S/A AW hub with chrome plated steel shell. I though that was wrong, but apparently not. It's fairly all stock except for the saddle and fenders. Mine is the 22" frame. I prefer the 23", but it's not too bad. The gearing is 46x17. Stock? Maybe. I took it on a brief trail ride and was able to max out at 18.9mph and averaged 13.9. Not bad for me!

Back