When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Rudge Aero Clubman #125

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Fork crown appears to wear a partial chrome plated sheet steel cap.

If this were removed during the course of disassembly/cleaning the crown's surface beneath the cap would have provided a good clue as to the original colour prior to weathering.

Did you record an image of this?

---

There is a dark line on the downtube right where it enters the shell on the non-drive side. Hope this be simply dirt or a scratch and not a crack.

-----
I was not able to get the crown off. I tried, but decided to pick my battles and not risk bending it. I did see under the shifter cable clamp the true color. Absolutely beautiful! Good eye....I'll check on that possible crack tonight.

-----

Thanks for the response.

You did a thoroughly wonderful job with the bike.

Not attempting to suggest any changes.

One would need a fork crown racer remover in their tool kit in order to access the cap.

Just a possible idea to advance the investigation... :wink:

-----

-----

Thanks for the response.

You did a thoroughly wonderful job with the bike.

Not attempting to suggest any changes.

One would need a fork crown racer remover in their tool kit in order to access the cap.

Just a possible idea to advance the investigation... :wink:

-----
Thank you! I am always curious when I get into a bike to see what the steer tube color looks like. I figure that is probably the true color. I was quite surprised when I got rid of a '59 Rudge (small frame) bike. I believe it was originally red, but had been sprayed blue. I salvaged the headbadge and under that was the shiniest, smoothest black paint I'd ever seen! Odd.
Here is the best example of the orange I could find under the cable clamps.
ORANGE10.jpg

-----

Thanks so much.

On my monitor the colour looks as though it might be described as an orange-gold-copper flambouyant...but then am an oldtimer with imperfect vision. :blush:

Member @sam 's post about all Rudges receiving a black under/base coast would explain mark seen down by bottom bracket shell.

-----

-----

Thanks so much for sharing this great resource! :)

Greatly appreciated.

-----

That's neat to see! I have looked at H Lloyd's and see that I can actually buy the decals and I could probably get close to the paint color, BUT don't worry as I don't plan on it. If you notice my bike does not have wing nuts or an AC hub. I read somewhere that means it's an export model. It has a 1951 S/A AW hub with chrome plated steel shell. I though that was wrong, but apparently not. It's fairly all stock except for the saddle and fenders. Mine is the 22" frame. I prefer the 23", but it's not too bad. The gearing is 46x17. Stock? Maybe. I took it on a brief trail ride and was able to max out at 18.9mph and averaged 13.9. Not bad for me!

Back