When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Rudge Aero Clubman #125

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
With the threaded hubs most fixed gear sprockets will work so you would be able to fine tune the gearing to your like. And as far back as the late 20s cyclo and others were also offering conversions for S/A hubs to allow a two speed range(6 gears)

With the threaded hubs most fixed gear sprockets will work so you would be able to fine tune the gearing to your like. And as far back as the late 20s cyclo and others were also offering conversions for S/A hubs to allow a two speed range(6 gears)
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I did have a 50's Cyclo Benelux on one of my other three speed bikes, but got tired of fooling with it and sold it.

-----

note on chainset -

noticed that the cycle's Williams C34 set is fluted. fluting was an extra cost option BITD. at retail shop prices it was a few Shillings more than the plain unfluted version. so bike received Williams top set of the day. ;)

-----

-----

do pre-TI Rudge products employ a 24 or a 26 T for steerer and shell? would expect 24 but have no hard information.

unclear from photos if blades are d-section or oval. since they are nominally Reynolds would expect oval but none of the images show them clearly eno' to verify.

-----

Raleigh bought Rudge in '43 - everything about wrongway's lovely bike is Raleigh Lenton, including 26-tpi threading on headset and BB (even the catalog copy) - ok, and intentionally excepting the fork crown style.

6916805449_5d0b88cd4b_b.jpg

note this drawing was aimed at USA, with bolt-on lamp bracket on the left fork blade.

Last edited:
Raleigh bought Rudge in '43 - everything about wrongway's lovely bike is Raleigh Lenton, including 26-tpi threading on headset and BB (even the catalog copy) - ok, and intentionally excepting the fork crown style.

View attachment 922679
note this drawing was aimed at USA, with bolt-on lamp bracket on the left fork blade.

-----

Thank you! :)

Information much appreciated.

As regards catalogue for U.S. market (lamp bracket) -

Doubt there were many U.S. riders wearing plusses at this epoch!

One might think they slipped up there. :laughing:

-----

I bought a female in perfect shape. She got a new one in 1953 and kept the old one that had just broken the shift cable. I got both. You know that the blank tube just above the front fender (on the above picture) is for a lock set? The Limeys love those plastic fenders. I have a set on my La Tour.

Last edited:
-----
Thank you! :)
Information much appreciated.

As regards catalogue for U.S. market (lamp bracket) -
Doubt there were many U.S. riders wearing plusses at this epoch!
One might think tey slipped up there. :laughing:

-----
you're of course welcome
two things happened postwar. 8th AF fliers came home with a newfound love for British Lightweights, along with a general Anglophilia.
(before WWII propaganda, we had a general apprehension for the Brits, and our navies even worked out strategies for war between us after WWI)

Struggling British economy was trying to export anything they could to the US (as they were in 1939-40)
Where I sourced that '48 catalog page, I'm pretty sure it came from an export to US catalog.
The catalogs that Sheldon and Kurt Kaminer have assembled online are all from export to US and Canada catalogs - if you compare them to British catalogs from '48 to now, they show marketing priority differences (and often model differences).
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/memorial-day-our-love-for-lightweights.111436/

Last edited:
-----

for readers unfamiliar with term "plusses" -

it is short for plus fours which is brit english for what are called "knickers" in yank english.

however - "knickers" in brit english = "panties" in yank english.

-----

Back