When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Schwinn Black Phantom

-
Yeah, that paint is more than suspicious. The chain guard pin stripes where angled into tips should be pointed. This small angle is done with pointed brush by laying it against the guard so the tip is sharp, pointed. It doesn't look as if this is the case here moreover, no scratching too: repainted. . .. Now, given the condition of the front fender, presuming it's original, for all the scratches, the whole bike should be scratched equally it's not. . Of the poor things in a whole paint job is how easy it chips. Those chips on frame are because it's not original. When it comes to original and paint jobs, you don't need an actual black phantom frame as, all the other bikes Schwinn made with this frame can be different models too. I.E. U never know what it was before it got new lipstick.

The top bar; red and white pin striped; that pin stripe should be centered in bar and it's not. It should be half covered right where tank sits, centered so half red and stripe is exposed just a tad above the tank, straight as an arrow. . It's too high. U might find very, very tiny misalignment in centering the pin stripe on top bar: Human error and typical expectations on factory production line but, not miles away. Besides, Schwinn nailed their pin strips so well, if it was off, in the least, 99.9% would never see it. Of the most consistent ways to tell a new paint job is the points on Guard, pin stripes on frame; smooth without shaking or wiggles and has consistent thickness or width and chips in new paint. .. There are lots of, 'professional, restore guys yet, I've only seen 1 person ever nail it. For me, this stands out like big red, swelling, sour thumb. Rear fender is a repop, peddles appear repop too. rack is repop or fresh paint and the rear light,, is, that is; red plastic lens, is right.

Prob as, IDK,, Cause I would not pay as much but , guess, $500 tops just cause people usually don't see how wrong it is. Yet now, B/C you'll always know where top bar pin stripe should be,, every time U look at it,, U gonna go "eurgh, dam it". [Grin]

Investment value? If ya paid 500 bucks and tried to sell it later without lying about the paint job, ya ain't gonna make a dime years later but be happy if ya can get your 'Investment' back. I.E. Zero 'Investible interest 'except for the rear light or values of what few actual original parts, not repainted, on it. .

No trust seller or sale.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn’t end up getting it...

With that being said, if anyone knows of someone selling one, let me know! I am North Carolina and will be continuing to look

Since you're not going after that one now, can you mention what the asking price was?

Since you're not going after that one now, can you mention what the asking price was?

We were discussing a price of $1,300. Not sure that I would’ve considered paying so much if I knew there were so many signs of modifications and rework though.

I did ride away with this guy on my trip though (separate seller)...

It is an old Rollfast presumably from the 40’s. Not sure how original it is, or if it is very, but I did not pay very much and really like the bike. To me, it’s an entry bike to ride and enjoy with the girlfriend. I will still be looking for my Phantom the side

E37625C5-C71F-4BBD-94FD-7209C6C5DB24.jpeg

CD8530B2-9A94-4732-9D06-72A7D78C4D3E.jpeg

32B7448C-3872-4D99-86E0-2A5C26DAF987.jpeg

Back