When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Schwinn Cycle Truck (U.S.P.O. DEPT) - Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sounds like it is going to be a killer bike and I can't wait to see it when you are finished regardless of the comments...and I am not 100% sure about the pinstripes. I have seen a number of these old postal bikes and all were painted that same basic black...and the pinstripes seem to be more prominent on the prewar bikes but would be a nice addition anyway to a resto...you might try to get in touch with Mark Smith at http://www.bunchobikes.com/ I have talked to him before and he has restored a few of these old cycle trucks and is very knowledgeable...

Thanks for your positive feedback, very helpful. It's looking really good so far. I'm leaning toward no box pinstripes on the frame, maybe just on the fork, I'll still try to confirm. Your sign suggestions are cool for sure. I've seen some fun stuff done with these bikes. I am sticking to restoring it's original look though, USPO and all. I know there were tons of these used back in the day but I've only found two photo examples online and neither were restored or had any visible details to that show what color the type on the sign was. As common as they were, I can't seem to find any of this version restored! On the decals, I just provided the detail guy with the stuff available from Memory Lane and he said they're perfect.

I'll reach out to Mark Smith too. Coincidentally, I used to work in a Chicago bike shop who's owner is Mark Smith (not the same guy), who collects old bikes. He's got an unreal collection, wood spoked oldies and some crazy stuff. One of his bikes is in the Smithsonian.

Under your original post, you stated "Rear hub - "Mattatuck U.S.A""
Tony is just letting you know that the internals are the same as New Departure Model D in case you needed to find any parts...the New Departure description is much more popular and easier to find in searches...

Under your original post, you stated "Rear hub - "Mattatuck U.S.A""
Tony is just letting you know that the internals are the same as New Departure Model D in case you needed to find any parts...the New Departure description is much more popular and easier to find in searches...

Right on, thanks, and thanks to Tony. The hub that was on the bike seems to be in great shape but we'll see how smooth it feels once rebuilt.

Very cool project good luck, I really like cycle trucks they are very cool. Keep us updated with pictures .

Back