When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 Schwinn Hornet...Just Brought it Home...

-
Also, the 1951 Catalog shows a skiptooth crank, which apparently was changed out as production was going on.
I've never seen an online 1951 Catalog. I usually don't give any merit to the chain pitch shown on the girls bikes during the 50's. Schwinn was slowly getting out of using the 1" pitch drive trains at a slow pace until they were no longer used sometime in 1954 and completely gone for the 55 model year. Stamping out a 1" pitch clover ring along the same time they were stamping out the 1/2" pitch clover probably seemed like a wasted effort at some point during these years.

Last edited:
@phantom Nope...no Parting Out. The bike is as it left Chicago and it will stay that way. I'd NEVER do that to a complete, original bike. Oh, and I just pumped up the tires and they're holding air. 😁
No problem keeping them original either, I can certainly respect that.. I just look at it like once I sell a bike the new owner can do whatever they want with it. I have lost a few bikes on here because the seller wanted to be assured the bike would stay intact. Not a condition of sale I can make.

Unfortunately that is not the 1951 catalog! 🤬 This is another thing that I mentioned to @pinopat (Patrick) that is screwed up on his site. That is a catalog for 1953!!!

I know that the site is full of Typo's, that's for sure...but didn't realize that it was this messed up when it came to the years!! Aye Carumba!! 😩 From now on I stick to an ACTUAL catalog page for reference.

And it has images for 1954! The Wasp!

Looks like he's seen this and is working on the issue? Some things have just changed. Also the 1952 catalog has typed in model names like Leader and Meteor and those names first appeared on the 1953 models.

Last edited:
I decided to do a quick, dry, wipe down with paper towels before bringing it into my house and to the top floor where I work on the bikes. Color and condition is pretty amazing, considering the amount of dust and dirt that was on it all of these years.

I opened the aftermarket head light/horn to find batteries in there, but was thankful nothing leaked from the small amount of rust on them. Also took the cover off the Rocket Ray and found that it wasn't in to bad a shape, and I'm hoping the same will be said for the tank when I get to it.

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Back