When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Cycle Truck - Parts ID help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Elevatorman139

Look Ma, No Hands!
Greetings Cabers,
I've always thought that the cycle trucks were super cool. I hadn't seen one in person, but always liked the idea of having one. I picked up this 1952 last weekend and I am pursuing parts to bring her back to life and I was hoping you could lend your expertise to my search.

*Are the correct rims simply S2'swith heavier gauge spokes?

*I've seen a few different types of cycle truck head badges, does anyone know which is the correct one for 1952? I couldn't find the cycle truck listed in the online Schwinn catalog from that year.

*Is this the correct chain guard from that year? If not, if anyone had pics of what it should be, I would appreciate it.

*In the below link, there are pics of a restored 1952 and it shows a skip tooth clover chainring. Is that correct? I wasn't sure if they were still using skip tooth in the early 50s? Is there a difference(heavier-duty?) between the chain ring and crank for the cycle truck versus one that came on any of the other Schwinn bikes from that year?

*Is the metal bracket that supports the basket a necessity or has anyone fabricated something else to work in its place? If I could find an original without breaking the bank, I would buy it. I'm open to suggestions.

*Lastly, was the sign board made of steel or wood? Haven't seen any for sale, so I plan on making one and attaching it with clamps.

Thank you for any help offered.

ebcb6b32648ffdf3f9e038d2b9ff6366.jpg
9baf40cac17de4589bfbc33a4098910b.jpg
4652b4f01f7c35fd0345cb0d36551b64.jpg
5d0366ae7cebb320b83ed8da144a74ce.jpg
c86ea0992737f6de7382d193ab31e988.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am no CT expert but here is what I do know:

-yes S2s with HD spokes
-that year would have either had the CT badge or a BFG badge if sold through the tire store
-chain guard on yours is wrong along with wrong chain ring
-Schwinn used a skiptooth drivetrain well into the 50s
-crank and chain standard stuff
-the basket supports can be made out of angle iron although you can probably find a set.
-sign is metal held on by four clamps. Get someone to send a pattern and make one.
Hope this helps. V/r Shawn

Thank you very much, Shawn! I didn't want to start buying parts and guessing. I can definitely make the sign board out of metal now that I know that's what it is. The chainring and guard will be easy enough to find. Maybe I'll even luck out and find a set of rims already properly spoked. If I can't, I'm guessing I would have to drill out the S2s to accommodate the HD spokes.

Drilling is thrilling... just not fun!
I did a pair of these a couple of years ago. I love 'em!! I had the right et of rims to begin with, so I was lucky there!!
CT1:

CT2:

Being as I built them from pieces, I went with the 1/2" chain. They are great riders!

REC

They look great! I haven't fully decided if I'm going to go with shiny and beautiful or the weathered look. It will probably be determined by parts availability and expense.

Greetings Cabers,
I've always thought that the cycle trucks were super cool. I hadn't seen one in person, but always liked the idea of having one. I picked up this 1952 last weekend and I am pursuing parts to bring her back to life and I was hoping you could lend your expertise to my search.

*I've seen a few different types of cycle truck head badges, does anyone know which is the correct one for 1952? I couldn't find the cycle truck listed in the online Schwinn catalog from that year.

*Is this the correct chain guard from that year? If not, if anyone had pics of what it should be, I would appreciate it.

*In the below link, there are pics of a restored 1952 and it shows a skip tooth clover chainring. Is that correct? I wasn't sure if they were still using skip tooth in the early 50s? Is there a difference(heavier-duty?) between the chain ring and crank for the cycle truck versus one that came on any of the other Schwinn bikes from that year?

*Is the metal bracket that supports the basket a necessity or has anyone fabricated something else to work in its place? If I could find an original without breaking the bank, I would buy it. I'm open to suggestions.

*Lastly, was the sign board made of steel or wood? Haven't seen any for sale, so I plan on making one and attaching it with clamps.

View attachment 1142062View attachment 1142063View attachment 1142064View attachment 1142065View attachment 1142066

Hola hi there my humble opinion I wish to add the info I know and have as a Schwinn cycle trucks owner! I have a 1952 CT like yours, first I verify the serial number online and in my books they tell that belongs to 1952 located at the rear left drop fork! Also the tubes of the frame are straight like the 51 or earlier! But dont have the reinforced tube or curbed tubes like after late 50s to rhe last 67 models!Yes they use S2 rims center stamped front hub Bendix sliding axle & rear New Departure( Bendix or Morrow at extra cost when order) use skip tooth & feather chainguard complete whit no space for the name this came years after!

Greetings Cabers,

View attachment 1142062View attachment 1142063View attachment 1142064View attachment 1142065View attachment 1142066

Also they use the Schwin cycle truck or BFG shield badges! The center plate its metal w 4 clamps! Use S1 or S2 baskets your its S1! The seat its Mesinger B1 deluxe the pedals Torrington 10 or Schwinn deluxe! At ebay are for sale the suport basket brakets and the stand bushings the postwar spacer ones not the prewar that are threaded to the axle! Also the handle bar its 24" boy scout veryhard to find but use the Torrington army style also at ebay! Ill send you more pics of mine later any further help glad to share!

Greetings Cabers,

Screenshot_2020-03-23-11-52-48.png

Screenshot_2020-03-23-11-50-41.png

This model its 1951 and earlier the difference its the reinforced angle tube in the frame behind the head tube the rest its basic the same specs! Check the black one photos you will notice the differences that black one its not the same enjoy ride it!!!

Screenshot_2020-03-02-16-45-04.png

They look great! I haven't fully decided if I'm going to go with shiny and beautiful or the weathered look. It will probably be determined by parts availability and expense.

@Elevatorman139 .
I want to clarify a point here. I noticed a post that appears to be stating the pair of '52 models I posted are not '52 models... or I think that is his contention.
They are indeed a pair of '52s that took me quite a few years to find nice frames to use in both the large and small basket versions. I spent a great deal of time and effort to re-do the pair, though they are not "exact, letter perfect" restorations (resto-modifications). They are not striped as they originally would have been, and as I have stated on quite a few occasions, these were not the typical Kids bikes or toys, but were tools made for use by businesses and industry, which in many cases were modified or altered to fit the needs of the businesses that purchased and used them. Not all of them were left in the exact condition as when they were put into service.
As far as the one you found and are going to fix up - leaving it in the "used" condition is a pretty cool idea and I'm anxious to see where that take the bike in the end. if you have any questions I may be able to answer, feel free to send me a post or private message with them. I have a couple of others that will be "Rustored" in the coming time ahead. Further note: The large basket version I re-did was formerly a USPO Dept. bike I bought as the second bike of a pair ('46 and '52 models) from inside of Florida, and both of them had the USPO Asset numbers still on them when I got them.
REC

Back