When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 hetchins assembly update

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Winter gives me time now to catch up on bikes since my car project needs warm days to cure primers and chemicals...so I’m working on the hetchins... I got down and cleaned reassemble some of it and keeping the patina....making sure it’s gonna be safe to ride.. it still needs cleaning ..etc but I hobbled it together for a photo shoot.. wow... what a bike ....I thought the fenders would be weird but I like them ....they really set it off and the colors are awesome.. I can just imaging what this bad boy looked like new..the photos

will help identify the components originally on this bike...

Fantastic bike. I have been looking for one for a long time. Every time I find one that’s within my budget it is to tall. Please post a picture when you get it finished.

-----

Thank you for this update.

Have you been able to learn anything of the CANEX name?

Was this perhaps Britain's Cinelli agent at this time?

Slightly surprised not to see a Chater Lea clip style headset for 1952.

Perhaps they were already on the way out...

Hub tip -

hubs appear to be five-piece

one thing which often happens on a large flange five-piece rear is that the drive side flange can work loose. when this occurs there is no danger as nothing can go anywhere. a simple way to check for this is to lay the machine down on its left side and spin the rear wheel like a roulette wheel. if the flange has worked loose you will be able to see the gear block wandering about lazily in an ogival manner.

-----

Thanks for the tip... I’m going to work on that area next.. it seems tight but I’ll look carefully... yes there is a light stamp on the stem of cineli Milano on it. The bike seems to to well loved and not neglected through the years..just forgotten in a old garage...

Did the rear rim up cleaned ...greased ...trued and smooth as glass... so quiet ...Iplaced the original campy shifting components on for now will need adjustments .. pics of the original shifting .... :0:0:0View attachment 1094341
View attachment 1094342

View attachment 1094343

View attachment 1094344

View attachment 1094346

View attachment 1094347

View attachment 1094350

View attachment 1094355
first gen open C shifters. careful they bend easily. those are very nice

What a beautiful bike. There was a bike store in Westwood California in the mid 1970's. Always 3 or 4 Hetchins in the window. Spent a lot of time staring. They were like jewelry. What are your plans for tires?

Thanks for your help.. what parts will bend so I can pay extra attention? I’ll probably ride once or twice. Show it often...
first gen open C shifters. careful they bend easily. those are very nice

Thank you... it really glows...ties... That’s just what I’m thinking about.. first I’m not crazy about Presta valves. Schrader valves are a little bigger think I’m going to slightly enlarge the rim hole for them. Easier to get air and tubes...as for ties, I’m in the air. I was thinking colored ones? Any suggestions?
What a beautiful bike. There was a bike store in Westwood California in the mid 1970's. Always 3 or 4 Hetchins in the window. Spent a lot of time staring. They were like jewelry. What are your plans for tires?

Back