When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 hetchins assembly update

-
Thanks for your help.. what parts will bend so I can pay extra attention? The shifter levers. If you compare them with later versions levers you will see they are thinner.

Finally wrapped the bars set up the derailure. Shifts smooth...... now it looks like I need cable sheathing and tires that is it ... I’m almost done. Going to put it on the shelf for a bit do some other things for now

What a beautiful bike. There was a bike store in Westwood California in the mid 1970's. Always 3 or 4 Hetchins in the window. Spent a lot of time staring. They were like jewelry. What are your plans for tires?

-----

That would be Harding's Westwood Cyclery on Westwood Boulevard - just a few blocks south of the UCLA campus.

In addition to Hetchins the shop was an agent for Raleigh, Carlton & Peugeot. They also had a house brand Harding badge, cycles produced for them by Holdsworthy.

Charlie Harding closed the shop about 1990-91 and moved back home to Ireland for his retirement.

Purchased me first road machine there in 1965 - a white Peugeot model U08.

The loft above the cash register was a wonderful repository for many first quality vintage framesets and fittings.

-----

-----

Given the machine's date and presence of Chater Lea fittings one thing you might wish to check on is the steerer diameter.

It may be a standard Reynolds steerer of one inch diameter...or...it may be a Chater Lea steerer or 31/32" diameter.

-----

Ok but I’m unfamiliar with the word steerer what is it? Thanks.
ok lol I found out what it is lol will look. ... :0:0
-----

Given the machine's date and presence of Chater Lea fittings one thing you might wish to check on is the steerer diameter.

It may be a standard Reynolds steerer of one inch diameter...or...it may be a Chater Lea steerer or 31/32" diameter.

-----

Last edited:
Back