When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Jaguar Mark IV cable routing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Kram,

A couple points.

Look at this page: http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

According to this (if your serial number is on the left rear dropout), you could have a '52, '53, or a '57. Some of the Schwinn numbering systems from back then overlapped letters, causing us confusion today. If it says Mark II on the chainguard, I'd probably believe that and agree with Hiawatha and that it's a 56-58...or in your case...a '57! EDIT: If your Chainguard says Mark IV, than the frame was (is still) a '57, but not built for a while and eventually built up as a '58 model at the factory. Much like cars today that are built in 2010, but sold as a 2011 year model.

I am not positive on cable routing by year. I just finished up (almost) my '59 Jaguar and it looks pretty much like the detailed schematic above. Though my tank was NOS and that caused me to do some MAJOR grinding and sanding to clear the cable stop from the tank braces inside. My shifter cable exits the stop right at the tank brace. I had to move it a little and shave some metal off the brace to allow for clearance. Check and see if you have a notch cut out of the right-side (underside) of the tank right half. If it has one, and the tank is original, that points to a shifter cable being routed thru the tank to the pully on the seat tube (as in later models, late '50s models). Let us know what you find.

As for rust cleanup. 0000 Steel or Brass wool and WD-40 works well, or better yet...lather the whole thing with Naval Jelly and wait an hour. Rinse off with water and a rag and it will look new.

Nate

IMG_3892-1.jpg

IMG_3895-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Buster

Buster1 ~ I like the naked look of your Jaguar, as pictured. Thanks for sort of capsulizing for me here. This bikes tank indeed is notched on the bottom-right with a pass-thru in the rear, pointing more toward the 57/58 scenario. I loath my current inability to post photos; surely wish I could attach them using my phone. Another Jaguar-related wish is for a straight replacement stem, as mine's slightly bent to one side, just a few degrees; enough so that it looks off-center in the top of the headset. I'd buy one on eBay, but I'm refusing to update my info on Paypal, as I suspect it's ALL about further invasion of user privacy. I walked away from Google recently for that same reason; at least Google was pretty overt about it.

Last edited:
BRIEF ASSESSMENT of bike

NEEDS :: stem/headlight/grips/rat trap

The stem's slight bend (mentioned earlier) is apparent only when inverting the bike and seeing that it isn't pefrectly level when upside-down. The headset rotates freely (I have yet to open, clean, and regrease it). The stem has moderate petina and sets in the top of the head tube / headset quite off-center. The b ars are undamaged and rust-free (as is 99% of this entire bike.)

This 1958 Mark IV has no grips at this time. The all black saddle has a molded-type "MESINGER" tag on its rear portion, and it is in great shape but for a bit of very minor splitting at its nose.the seatpost has no markings, as does the clamp nut.

Its fenders are straight, but for two creases on the rear, and I intend to use Naval Jelly on their (and the tank's) interior (and then spray with black Rustoleum.)

The wheels seem in nice shape, though ONE spoke is missing on the front. Front hub is marked (in cursive) "SCHWINN" and rear is Sturmey Archer. They spin fairly true and freely.

The crank's "four circle" chain ring is super clean, but its left arm has heavy petina on about 80% of its surface. Both pedals (BARELY WORN & PROBABLY NEWER) show the rectangular orange reflectors, and on their outer "tips" they have an inscribed logo of 4 hearts within a circle.

ACCESSORIES & MISC :: on the front, atop the headset, it has a bracket (sort of flared w/ a round hole), possibly for a headlight. The brakes, levers, and rack are all in very good condition, including all 4 of the rack's reflectors. The rear fender large reflector is in excellent shape (incl the ivory Bakelite.) I did find that the seat post clamp BOLT head is marked "AS".

The black frame appears very straight and undamaged with only minor paint nicks and no rust. The kickstand (and fender stays ~ slight corrosion) are also black.

Overall I feel this could be a low-mileage bike with plenty of life "at the ready". Of course I'm regreasing and cleaning, in general. The SA hub operates fine, even without adding any 10 W 30. I intend to complete a fairly thorough "clean and tune" and find some Schwinn grips before assigning this ol' boy to almost daily "puppy running" duty, to exercise my 3 small Rat Terrier mix dogs...

THEN OFF INTO THE SUNSET WE ALL WILL GO ...

Last edited:
OOPS ~ tank and chain guard (silly me!) ...

The chain guard looks good with 90+% of its black paint and factory-applied model-ID markings intact. The chrome-like polished area below the black portion has moderate-to-heavy petina, but the front 1/2 of the rounded crank area is quite clean. No dents/dings are apparent, but its underside shows an even layer of surface rust. [Another candidate for Naval Jelly & flat black Rustoleum, I suppose.] The tank's rigbt side is nearly free of black paint, while the left side's factory finish still covers 90% of the paid "swoosh"-shaped area. The horn button still has a bit of red to it, and it has excellent spring action. I can't wait to try out the horn w/ a pair of D cells.

Last edited:
Thanks, Nate, for referring Kram to our thread.
But if he is not a signed in member over there, he cannot see my posted images that helped you out. Just thought I'd let you know.

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 77
registered last night at the Schwinn forum

Thanks, Nate, for referring Kram to our thread.
But if he is not a signed in member over there, he cannot see my posted images that helped you out. Just thought I'd let you know.

Jim.

Right you are, Jim. But after reading most of the thread's text, I did register last night. I hope to be able to view the related photos soon. (Still waiting for "approval" of membership, I guess.

I truly appreciate all of the kind support. After reading each thread and response, and after each maintenance/restoration procedure I perform, I feel more and more attached, bonded to my bike AND to the vintage cycling community.

OVERALL I AM EXTREMELY GRATIFIED. Thank you all

Last edited:
Stem concern NOT a major ISSUE

My earlier mention of the stem POSSIBLY being slightly crooked has fallen by the wayside. My earlier observation seems to have been errant. Beginner's luck !? I now simply write off such silly imperfections to the technology of that era.

Also, I'm realizing that I actually DO want to find a bike made in my birth year. This Jaguar is FABULOUS, but I'm not quite as keen on it as I once thought I might be. So I'm selling it locally on Craigslist. Someone will get a nice deal on a nice bike.

Last edited:
Kram,

Where are you at and what are you asking for the Jag? I'd love to see pics.

Nate

In the Valley of the Sun

Hiya Buster. I'm in the greater Phoenix area. I'm still without a pc, mac, or anything bigger than my phone. Luckily I can post photos (using my smart phone) on Craigslist, unlike here on The CABE. I can also text photos (used to be called "picture mail"). I'm starting to consider parting it out, as an option. PM me or call/text me. I listed my cell # in a post here in this thread. All the best ...

Last edited:
Back