When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Raleigh Sports found on Craigslist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

usarnie1

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1952 Raleigh Sports that was advertised on Craigslist. For a 66 year old bike, it was in very good condition! The chrome is mostly rust free! And the black paint still has its' original lusture, aside from the many chips, scratches and small dings!

I needed to upgrade some of the parts to get it operational. I replaced all the Cables, Cable Clamps, Sturmey Archer 3 speed Shifter Spring, Sturmey Archer Index Chain, 3 speed Cable Anchor, Brooks B66 Saddle, Hand Grips, Brake Shoes and Air Pump.

I need some help in locating and purchasing some of the missing parts on the enclosed Chain Guard. It is missing the rear tail section and 2 screws, all 3 slider plates and the chrome clamp with its' backing plate and screws. Any one out there who has any of these parts available, please contact me!

IMG_2052.JPG

Last edited:
These bikes are awesome. Built to last one hundred years and extremely fun to ride!
Beautiful saddle!
Sorry I don't have the parts. Someone else here might.
If no luck, try ebay. You might find what your bike needs there.

Cool Bike. I have about 10 Raleighs. I also bought a 1952 Raleigh on CL several years ago. This is the Superbe model with the rear Dyno-Hub.
Unfortunately, I don't have the guard parts you need. I plan on restoring this bike someday and I have a new B66 for it.
Good luck with yours, these were the best quality bike made. Wayne

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

I found an original 1950 Dynohub on Craigslist, purchased it and re-spoked it back onto the original front rim of my 1952 Raleigh Sports. I also added a 1910 Mckeelite drum headlight, modified with a 5 LED bulb. Additionally, I upgraded the tires to a set of Schwalbe's. I was able to purchase an original Raleigh chrome bracket, backing plate and 2 screws, to hold the rear of the fully enclosed chain guard to the frame, from a seller in the United Kingdom. Later on, I will update this tread after I install the bracket. I really like the way this bike is turning out! However, I am still looking for the tail piece and 3 sliders for the chain guard. Any one out their have any of these parts?

1952Raleigh-Work-in-Progress.JPG

Last edited:
I found an original 1950 Sturmey Archer Dynohub on Craigslist, purchased it and re-spoked it back onto the original front rim of my 1952 Raleigh Sports. I also added a 1910 Mckeelite drum headlight, modified with a 5 LED bulb. Additionally, I upgraded the tires to a set of Schwalbe's. I was able to purchase an original Raleigh bracket, backing plate and 2 screws, to hold the rear of the fully enclosed chain guard to the frame, from a seller in the United Kingdom. Later on, I will update this tread after I install the bracket. I really like the way this bike is turning out! View attachment 759356
View attachment 758101
I added the missing tail piece and sliders, that I recently purchased on e-bay. Now my bike is complete! However, I do like to add do dads to my bikes!

1952CompletedRaleigh.JPG

Last edited:
Below is a list of all the work that I was able to accomplish and attached are some close up photos of the individual parts that I used on my 1952 Raleigh 3 speed

1) Replaced both caliper brakes with ones from a 1967 Raleigh (uses the later style cables, without the lead pear shaped ends)
2) Replaced the original Brooks B66 saddle and seat post with a new B66 saddle, Brooks leather tool pouch and new seat post
3) Replaced the tires with new Schwalbe tires
4) Replaced the front axel with a Sturmey Archer 6 volt Dynohub and used stainless steel spokes laced to the Dynohub
5) Added a 1910 Mckeelite Drum Headlight, modified with a 5 LED bulb
6) Replaced the Raleigh Industries kickstand with a Sir Walter Raleigh logo kickstand
7) Replaced the front fender chrome nose piece with a new chrome one
8) Replaced the missing enclosed chainguard pieces with ones that I purchased from the United Kindgom on e-bay UK
9) Added a digital speedometer
10) Replaced the brake and shifter cables
11) Replaced the Sturmey Archer index chain
12) Replaced the 3 speed cable's anchor adapter
13) Added a new chrome air pump
14) Added a water bottle and alloy bracket
15) Replaced all the brake shoes with new ones
16) Replaced generic plastic hand grips with Raleigh hand grips
17) Replaced all the cable clamps with stainless steel clamps
18) Replaced the spring in the Sturmey Archer shifter with a new spring

Next, I want to locate and purchase a 1950s English made Midland Sports rear carrying rack. That is the rack that was available as an accessory back in the day. I enjoyed doing all the above upgrades and enjoy riding the bike!

1910Mckeelite.JPG
1967RaleighFrontBrake.JPG
1967RearRaleighBrake.JPG
AirPump:WaterBottle.JPG
BrooksB66Saddle.JPG
BrooksLeatherToolPouch.JPG
ChromeNosePiece.JPG
CockpitControls.JPG
Dynohub.JPG
FiveNewParts.JPG
FrontSprocketSliderPlate.JPG
RaleighHandGrips.JPG
RepairedSAShifter.JPG
SchwalbeMarathonTires.JPG
SirWalterRaleighLogoKickstand.JPG

Last edited:
...Next, I want to locate and purchase a 1950s English made Midland Sports rear carrying rack. That is the rack that was available as an accessory back in the day. I enjoyed doing all the above upgrades and enjoy riding the bike!
You found a jewel, and can be proud of your work.

Essentially the same as the Midland rack you're looking for, I have the Coloral on my '57 Lenton GP - easy to find the Midland rack on ebay.uk, and airmail post this way is inexpensive.
how about this one?
(same seller who supplied my Coloral)

Wfa1hMV.jpg

SnRMaXj.jpg

I looked at this thing for a year, decided it would never go on my '74 International, even wondering if I had wasted my money. But it found a perfect home on the Lenton.

Last edited:
Looking good. Love the kickstand. Nice touch. Gives it that "finished from the bottom to the top" look.

Back