When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Raleigh Sports found on Craigslist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It is possible to make new cables for the Raleigh-pattern calipers using a good cable knarp or by using a Bell Systems crimp tool on a tight-fitting spoke nipple to form a cable end.

It is possible to make new cables for the Raleigh-pattern calipers using a good cable knarp or by using a Bell Systems crimp tool on a tight-fitting spoke nipple to form a cable end.
Sounds like we need a thread on this, with pictures!

What is a cable knarp?
If you are careful you should be able to resolder the old cable end to a new cable. The solder should melt out of the pear shaped piece so you can free the old cable and solder in the new cable. You want just enough heat to melt the solder but leave the shell. I have done this but is has been some 20+ years ago.

What is a cable knarp?
If you are careful you should be able to resolder the old cable end to a new cable. The solder should melt out of the pear shaped piece so you can free the old cable and solder in the new cable. You want just enough heat to melt the solder but leave the shell. I have done this but is has been some 20+ years ago.
here are cable knarps on a kayak rudder cable
qA1ERoo.jpg

and again on a bike brake cable
SAdl5x1.jpg

a smaller style using an allen set screw on this brake cable
FPidPyH.jpg

Good pictures - yes, a knarp is just a screw-on cable end that you can take on and off by tightening or loosening the set screw. There are many different types - they actually do sell some specifically for brake cables. They tend to work, but do not always fit inside the brake arm sleeve very well.

Yes, soldering works fine if you are careful and do good surface prep. The can look very clean and very original if you get it right.

The nipple crimp method is where you use a Bell Systems Type D crimper tool (usually a few dollars on eBay, I think mine was like $15 shipped to me) to crimp a spoke nipple into place on the cable. Once you get the hang of this, you can get the crimp very tight and just as solid as a good knarp. The plus of the nipple crimp is that the spoke nipple will often fit into the brake arm sleeve well.

The most important thing to remember is these cables are of fixed length. You need to get the length right for them to work well. Measure twice, crimp/solder/knarp once.

I would not go back and undo everything if you've already put standard-style calipers on the bike. They work fine. But no need to throw away your Raleigh calipers if you want to use them later.

Next, I want to locate and purchase a 1950s English made Midland Sports rear carrying rack. That is the rack that was available as an accessory back in the day. The Midland Sports Rack, shown in the below 2 photos of the side and top view, is currently mounted on my 1953 Hercules Tourist (Queen Elizebeth II Coronation Bike).

MidlandSportsRack1.jpg
MidlandSportsRack2.jpg

Last edited:
I located a Midland Rear Book Rack! I had to purchase the whole bike, just to get the rack! Fortunately, it was a local purchase. I am picking everything up this Sunday, March 11th. After I pick everything up, I will post a photo of my 1952 Raleigh with the Midland Book Rack installed on my bike.

You'll have a keeper once you're done with it. It is difficult to find such an early mens tall frame Sports with this level of completeness in the U.S. today. Think twice if you ever get the impulse to sell it.

I love the hunt for these old bikes and parts! To locate an original 1947 to 1953 Midland Sports rear carrying rack, I had to use all my skills as both a hunter and negotiator. Remember, the Midland Sports rear carrying rack pre-dates the more common Prestube Manor rear carrying rack. I ran several wanted adds in both the USA and Europe, all to no avail. Then I remembered an e-bay post that was over one year old, that had a bike with the rack that I wanted on it. With e-bay's help, I was successful in contacting the seller. The seller stated that he was not fortunate enough to have sold his bike on e-bay and that he still had it! We did some negotiating and agreed on a fair price. The seller lived 60 miles from my home and agreed to deliver the bike with its' rare Midland Sports rear carrying rack to my home. I re-sprayed the rack black and mounted it to my all black 1952 Raleigh Sports bicycle. I am very happy with the way my 1952 Raleigh Sports bicycle now looks! Is my bike now finished? No, it is a work in progress!

MidlandSports1.JPG

MidlandSports2.JPG

Back