When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Schwinn Phantom project

-
After starting on this project in November 2018, I finally completed the assembly of the coach green 1952 Schwinn Phantom.

I had 2 goals in mind during my quest to bring the bike back to glory...
1. To assemble the bike using only correct original parts, colors, and plating inside out from the frame to the hardware that holds it all together.
2. Secondly, to return the bike to "like new" condition as if you walked into a Schwinn dealer in 1952 and this is what you would see.

I feel I came close to achieving my goals. To the best of my knowledge, I was able to find all original parts, except the front cable, and water slide decals. Also, the buck skin leather on the saddle is professionally recovered, but done very well and like original. Additionally, I repainted the bike and did my best to paint with accuracy and precision.
This project required a lot of time, work, study, and research...which, was an enjoyable and sometimes stressful journey! I asked a lot of questions, searched high and low for parts, and had to be patient throughout the project. I learned so much Schwinn balloon bikes and find that I'm still learning!
* I want to give a special thanks to Bob U @bobcycles, who is one of, if not the most recognized and respected individuals when it comes to classic Schwinn balloon bicycles. I learned quite a bit from him and he helped me a lot. Additionally, I want to thank Wes @WES PINCHOT (those are your tires =), Gary @GTs58, Shawn @Freqman1, Brian @ABC Services, Pete @onecatahula (nice original green grips, huh!), Dan the man @bicyclebones, and Aaron @VintageSchwinn.com ...whether it was helping me with parts, knowledge and or valuable information. I also want to thank the all the many posts, threads, pictures, and information on the Cabe that was valuable in helping me learn more about these beautiful balloon bikes.

*Here are some Bike Highlights...
-Beautiful original rechromed fenders with cad braces riveted like factory
-Beautifully recovered buck skin leather seat with rare original wear tabs, cad plated hardware, and original chassis with the springs still in the original plating.
-S2s still in the original chrome, appear close to NOS
-The rare and hard to find Goodyear All Weather Deluxe tires have very little wear and appear close to NOS even though they are around 70 years old.
-All original battery-operated toys (front fender light, Delta horn, and taillight with axel clip) are in good working order.
-Locking fork with original Schwinn/Yale key set and original instruction card
-Beautifully restored original AS Deluxe pedals, including the original pedal blocks
-Torrington double butted spokes & long 3/4" nipples
-Original Schwinn Front drum brake hub assembly
-New Departure Model D rear hub in original chrome and cad, appear close to NOS
-Original rear deluxe reflector
-Original front fenderlite with original lens
-Original Schwinn green grips appear close to NOS
**Stay tuned for more project bicycles!!

View attachment 1160767

View attachment 1160768

View attachment 1160769

View attachment 1160770

View attachment 1160771

View attachment 1160772

View attachment 1160773

View attachment 1160774

View attachment 1160775

View attachment 1160777

View attachment 1160778

View attachment 1160779

View attachment 1160780

OUTSTANDING! The bike and I are the same age...your bike looks much better... :p

Fantastic effort and an outstanding eye for details. You completed some of the small things that people tend to overlook and took them to the highest level. Great work.

Back