When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Schwinn World - my first dabbling in Schwinn Lightweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

elginkid

Finally riding a big boys bike
So this is my first real Schwinn Lightweight. I’m mostly a prewar person, however my significant other is not a big fan of the heavy bikes. I found this one on the east Coast and a friend picked it up for me a met me in PA, when I brought a NOS Taurus SHO bumper for him from Ohio (it’s good to have enabling friends).

It’s a “World” model, although I haven’t seen this exact one represented in the catalogs I’ve seen, most have chrome fenders. I specifically wanted this for the painted fenders.

The seat cover is absolutely toast. I don’t know if this can be restored or not. It has the original cable covers, but they’re quite brittle. Does anyone reproduce that type of braided cable cover?

The tires are a little hard and cracked but might still be salvageable for display purposes , but I’ll be ordering new tires for riding.

I can’t tell if the rims are S5 or S6, as I don’t see a mark on them, but I think it’s the same size, regardless.

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

IMG_5895.jpeg

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

IMG_5908.jpeg

Last edited:
Should be S6 with that rim profile. The S5 had a raised hump.
Do those rims have knurling under the patina? I had an early postwar ladies' Continental that had non knurled, non stamped, chrome plated S6(by diameter) rims, I think they may have been from an earlier bike, but the patina looks the same as yours from here.

My 52 Blue World Traveler has the oval winged badge and chrome fenders with S6 stamped and knurled rims. Maybe yours is earlier...???

Last edited:
That looks like a completely original untouched World. A completely different model from the world traveler. I don’t know how you are dating that piece, but the 1952 serial numbers have a few Letter series that were repeated in 1953.

That looks like a completely original untouched World. A completely different model from the world traveler. I don’t know how you are dating that piece, but the 1952 serial numbers have a few Letter series that were repeated in 1953.
50'-52' because of the circular head badge. Generally I see that saddle on 50'-51' and those brake levers on 51'-52' (within that badge time frame).

I just scratched some grease off, and the hub is dated for 1952, and the serial tracks to April of 1952.

IMG_5913.jpeg

IMG_5910.jpeg

Should be S6 with that rim profile. The S5 had a raised hump.
Do those rims have knurling under the patina? I had an early postwar ladies' Continental that had non knurled, non stamped, chrome plated S6(by diameter) rims, I think they may have been from an earlier bike, but the patina looks the same as yours from here.

My 52 Blue World Traveler has the oval winged badge and chrome rims. Maybe yours is earlier...???
This does have knurled rims.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Good questions about the cable housing and saddle. I have not found a new source for the housing that looks right. I try to save and reuse original housing as much as possible. I would replace the saddle with a Brooks while I look for a better original saddle. Is anyone restoring these saddles or know of a new housing source?

Back