When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953/4 “Kent of London” or “England”

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

s1b

Finally riding a big boys bike
My father was telling me that in 1953/4 he had got a new bike. A “lightweight”. He remembers it’s having “Kent of London” or “England” on it.
Anyone the, what brand that would’ve been?

-----

There is a Kent department store marque in the U.S. but I do not know if it was going at this time...

It is simply "Kent" and not "Kent of _____" The cycles under its badge all come from the orient.

Currently there is a "Kent International" bicycle manufacturing entity based in the U.S.

Raleigh did do chainstore contract manufacturing for U.S. companies. They did some for U.S. major brands also, such as Monark.

-----

Last edited:
Reactions: s1b
It was not Hercules of Birmingham, as they manufactured four different bicycles in 1953/54. The Hercules Tourist, the Hercules Royal Prince, the Hercules Churchill and the Hercules Windsor.

I had a 1961-62 Kent made three speed twin top bar cantilever light weight and the name of the bike was Londonair or something like that.

Reactions: s1b
As I recall a Kent passed through my hands a few years ago. It had a Sturmey/Archer hub and an aftermarket shifter. The model name was "Executive". I thought it was a contract build from England and passed it on quickly. The best components were the hub, crankset, and handle bars (oops, forgot about the brakes).

Back