When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
Just picked this up yesterday. It has the "turn signal" rack, but there is no turn signal switch on the top tube like I've seen in other models. At first I thought it was missing, but I see no mounting holes or evidence of one having ever been mounted. Anybody know? Also an oddity... this model, according to the Wards catalog should have a different headlight, but this one has matching paint and is most likely original to the bike. Sure'd be nice to find a yellowed original headlight lens!

My 1953 Hawthorne.jpg

Anybody have a scan of the 1952 fall/winter catalog they could share? This bike doesn't quite match the '53 spring/summer. '53 s/s shows chrome everywhere there is silver here, plus the sealed beam light. In '52, Wards wasn't even showing whitewall tires stand-alone in the catalog (though you could get them on a bike). I suspect '52 offering were held back due to Korean war material restrictions. Maybe this bike is a late '52, with paint instead of chrome and the earlier style light?

84769019-0BD9-4FF7-9DCB-CB30C84A3A20-1721-000000DCAA84556E_zpsphwjtpzl.jpg
Anybody have a scan of the 1952 fall/winter catalog they could share? This bike doesn't quite match the '53 spring/summer. '53 s/s shows chrome everywhere there is silver here, plus the sealed beam light. In '52, Wards wasn't even showing whitewall tires stand-alone in the catalog (though you could get them on a bike). I suspect '52 offering were held back due to Korean war material restrictions. Maybe this bike is a late '52, with paint instead of chrome and the earlier style light?

Here is mine looks identical to yours , don't have the holes on the top of the frame either for turn switch .. "Seperated at birth "

Nice find Dave! Does the TL unit have the glass 6v flasher (looks like an old fuse) in it?

I'll check and reply later. Are you telling me, the turn-signal function of these bikes actually had the signals flashing? That's bitchen! I always just assumed they'd stay on solid.

Back