When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Hercules Coronation model

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello, I recently acquired what I believe to be a 1953 Hercules coronation model 3 speed Tourist and Im looking to sell some of the parts but I have some questions about what it is I have.

I consider myself an expert on the 1953 Hercules Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Celebration Bicycles, as I own three of them! The first bit of information that I will share with you is: Hercules made three different models of this bicycle. They are the Tourist, The Royal Prince and the Windsor. They all look the same except for the head badge and the chain guard decal. The bicycles were available in either black or Maroon and all have cream colored spikes on both the top and diagonal frame tubes. Additionally, all of the QEII bikes have a special decal on the seats down tube, that consists of five different colored chevrons, that represent the five living monarchs of Great Britain at that time, followed by two Falcons in flight below and above the chevrons and a scripted Hercules at the center of the decal. All of the QEII bicycles have this decal! Currently, there are no reproductions available of this decal! However, there are reproductions available for each of the three different Hercules bicycle chain guard decals. Additionally, all the 1953 Hercules bicycles have both the B type 3 three speed rear hub and the Hercumatic 3 speed shifter. Aside from the above, there were several accessory options available with this bike. A Midland rear carrying rack, a Miller generator light set, a handlebar bell, a Brooks leather saddle, a Hercules stamped kick stand, Hercules stamped pedals and different style handgrips.

The below reproduction chain guard sticker is available at Redbubble.com

Last edited:
Hello, I recently acquired what I believe to be a 1953 Hercules coronation model 3 speed Tourist and Im looking to sell some of the parts but I have some questions about what it is I have.
Frankly speaking you’re wasting your time parting the bike out if it’s complete and repairable. It is well built but is not a high value bike nor are the components. Put it up for sale in one piece if you have no use for it yourself.

Thanks for the replies.unfortunately the bike came to me in pieces, the forks are bent, missing original rear wheel and shifter, the seat is smoked, The handle bars and grips also seem to be later. It is definitely the coronation model that has crown head badge and the chevrons on seat post. It has both sets of breaks and levers,stem seat post ,seat 11 spring frame,the bike frame is in good shape. Other wise i agree with slowride there is nothing more i would enjoy then putting s little British class with my band of american bikes. I don't have time or resources to get this one back to a rideable bike. And I'm sorry no pics yet I'm working on those Im quite inept when it comes to technology I'm kind of standing on the information super highway with my thumb out Haha. Thank you for the feed back and look forward to getting great info in the future. If anyone can use these parts I would like to get them to someone who can use them.

I am always looking for parts that look better than the parts on my three Hercules QEII bicycles. I will be anciously awaiting to see your photographs of the usuable parts that are on your bike.

If your bike does not have the two falcons in flight or the scripted Hercules between the two falcons, it may not be a QEII coronation celebration bike! As Hercules continued to make all three of their models from 1954 to 1958 and these bikes have the chevrons and are not QEII Coronation Celebration Bikes! However, many of the parts from these latter Hercules bikes are compatable with the 1953 QEII bikes. Such as the painted brass head badge, both caliper brakes and their hand controls, the chrome fork top cover, the earlier chain guard that has the rear portion of it formed partially around the rear sprocket, both fenders, The front chain sproket that has Hercules spelled out on it, The front headlight bracket that may have a large H cut out in it, The Hercules label that may have been on the rear of the seat and many of the accessories that I mentioned on my previous reply. It is unfortunate that you do not have the original rear wheel, as the B type 3 Hercules hub would have been on the rear wheel, if it was a QEII bike!

1953 Hercules QEII Coronation Celebration Decal

Last edited:
Coasterbrakejunkie1969 sent me some photos of his Hercules Tourist parts bicycle and even though it is in rough shape and incomplete, I was able to determine that it originally was a 1953 Hercules Tourist QEII Coronation Celebration bicycle.

I consider myself an expert on the 1953 Hercules Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Celebration Bicycles, as I own three of them! The first bit of information that I will share with you is: Hercules made three different models of this bicycle. They are the Tourist, The Royal Prince and the Windsor. They all look the same except for the head badge and the chain guard decal. The bicycles were available in either black or Maroon and all have cream colored spikes on both the top and diagonal frame tubes. Additionally, all of the QEII bikes have a special decal on the seats down tube, that consists of five different colored chevrons, that represent the five living monarchs of Great Britain at that time, followed by two Falcons in flight below and above the chevrons and a scripted Hercules at the center of the decal. All of the QEII bicycles have this decal! Currently, there are no reproductions available of this decal! However, there are reproductions available for each of the three different Hercules bicycle chain guard decals. Additionally, all the 1953 Hercules bicycles have both the B type 3 three speed rear hub and the Hercumatic 3 speed shifter. Aside from the above, there were several accessory options available with this bike. A Midland rear carrying rack, a Miller generator light set, a handlebar bell, a Brooks leather saddle, a Hercules stamped kick stand, Hercules stamped pedals and different style handgrips.

The below reproduction chain guard sticker is available at Redbubble.com
View attachment 1269850
What happened to your green female bike “the Rolfe”?

I ended up purchasing it from that collector I believe because it looks like that same exact bike but without the basket

View attachment 1298236
Yes, that is my old bike! I can tell because I used a hot melt glue gun to glue in the cane tips on the rear suporting kick stand! I also kept the wicker basket, tool pouch and the rear mounted book rack.

Last edited:
Back