When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 or 54 maybe? Schwinn black phantom. Need some advice

-

Fiddyeire

On Training Wheels
Guys I’m trying to figure out if this bike is an original 1950,s ? And also how much it’s worth and the best place to sell it would be? It was ridden 1 mile and is brand new condition all original.

18E360A9-EFD9-4F1B-B26F-15CF1847909A.jpeg

C072CBA4-BE1F-4234-8032-F785B9E143D9.jpeg

The serial number should be stamped on the rear fork. You may have to remove some hardware to read it. My Phantom was produced in 1955 and the serial number was Pxxxxx. I would think you would find a similar stamping on yours. Schwinn serial numbers are pretty easy to track on the internet.
I presume that you are sure that this is from the 50's and not one of the reproductions from the mid 90's.
Prices seem to all over the board. A 1956 Black Phantom sold at auction for $2875 back in June 2012. A 1954 model with a ton of accessories was listed this June for $2950. Described as barely used.
I found a 1954 for sale by a dealer near Madison, Wi asking $11,999.:D . I settled on an asking price of $1900 . My bike is nice but shows use and age to some extent.
I listed it on Facebook Marketplace to start and got a few hits. Put it o the CABE last week and have more interest from collectors. If yours is true 50's vintage and as nice as you describe start high and be prepared to negotiate.

Can see is the nut holding the strut on the front fender. Originals were rivits. Nice looking bike though but probably one of the 1995 reproductions.

I guess my research on valuation isn't of much help to you as I can document that my bike was made in the 50's while yours is one of the 1995 reproductions.
Not to say that the repops don't have good value ( especially if it was never ridden) and from my understanding they were an outstanding reproduction in attention to detail. Could not tell you if the 1995's were serially numbered or where to locate that number

I guess my research on valuation isn't of much help to you as I can document that my bike was made in the 50's while yours is one of the 1995 reproductions.
Not to say that the repops don't have good value ( especially if it was never ridden) and from my understanding they were an outstanding reproduction in attention to detail. Could not tell you if the 1995's were serially numbered or where to locate that number
I’ve been told the msrp was $3000 for the 95 repro

Well there is one on Ebay for $2800. Don't know if they can get that much but also saw another for sale for $2999.

Back