When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Panther Value ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Adam1231

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_7826.JPG
IMG_7831.JPG
Hello,

I don't have a ton of experience buying old bikes, so I thought I would ask for some feedback here.

I'm looking at this 1953 Schwinn Panther. Someone obviously repainted the frame, wheels and fender? Possibly other parts as well. Seat has been poorly recovered and the brake doesn't seem to work. I'm not a purist and would obviously like original paint, but would pick up this bike if the price is right. The owner says he used some alcohol and was able to remove a patch of the aftermarket paint to reveal the original green. But lost interest and is selling now as-is. He's asking $250 and I think that's a firm price. Not buying to part out or sell, but don't want to pay more than it's worth, since it's not original and I don't NEED to have it . If I bought it I would possibly try to uncover the original paint and ad the missing parts. Any input would be appreciated.

I say Buy it... I know you said you don`t intend to part it, so you could pick up some parts a little at a time to make it more complete and enjoy it for a while.
The tank alone is worth the asking price. S-2 wheels, springer, frame and other parts are for free, but are worth money too. Fix it up and ride it. When you`re done playing with it
use it for trading material or sell it and put the money towards something you want more in the future...Lots of Schwinn Guys here( must have went to bed already) that would love to get it for that price. And it might surprise you what`s under that silver paint. Green Huh?
Not a bad looking bike as-is... It needs to be saved....God Bless,----Cowboy
--------Or, wait and save your money and find one that`s complete....

Last edited:
This is a tough call,Bike has a lot of issues and wont be cheap to make it right.If you just want it as a rat rod then maybe the price is ok at best.I would probably look to pay less or pass.

At $250 I would buy it and just clean up and leave it a "hot rod" bike. I am no purist and wouldn't even begin trying to find parts and restore it. The tank and fork are worth the price. Don't think you would ever get hurt at that price.

as @phantom said: worth it for a hotrod, but to me it's not worth it if you ultimately want a "correct" bike...save your time and money and buy a good original complete.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

How can I know if it's original? I was thinking it has some age to it, just not sure how much
Need better pictures of the tank-- inside and out--- does it have the horn unit?... Post them here...-----Seller should know if its original or not. -----Cowboy

Back