When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Schwinn Streamliner- Restoration Advice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's another measurement for you. I think you have a 24" fork judging from how your bike looks in the pictures.
I have a 50's Schwinn 26" balloon blade fork that measures 14 7/8" from the top of the fork shoulder to the center of the axle.

Hi! Thank you for the measurement. I went and measured my fork, and it measures the same as yours. I think the photo might be an optical illusion, or lens compresion making it look tight. This Schwinn appears to have about the same fender clearance as my 1947 Columbia. Also, at the time I was stripping away the blue paint, I could see what appeared to be the remains of the 3 white pin stripes like on your fork {but when I was repainting, I prefered to do the blaze as opposed to the stripes}. All that in mind though, it does seem that my rods are more gently bent, and I have heard some suggestions as to why that might be. I believe I am going to look into sourcing a different pair, perhaps locally here in person, that way I can be more sure of a proper fit. There is actually a bike show in the region coming up very soon, and I will see about finding some goodies there.

And again, I would really like to thank everybody for all of their compliments, and for all of the advice and troubleshooting. It has been very helpful, and I can't believe how much ya'll know about these classic bicycles. Thank You!

Here's another measurement for you. I think you have a 24" fork judging from how your bike looks in the pictures.
I have a 50's Schwinn 26" balloon blade fork that measures 14 7/8" from the top of the fork shoulder to the center of the axle.
A 24 inch boys steer tube is only 4 inches and too short to fit through a 26 inch frame and a 26 inch wheel won't fit a 24 inch fork leg

She is a beauty . Great work.
I have trimmed the tops down on a set of 24" rods to fit a 20" bike and it worked great. Mock it up with top clamp in place and lowers bolted to axle. Put the tops on outside of top clamp and maybe tape into place. At least you can get a visual on the geometry and see if you want to alter the rod size.
Bike might be Schwinn Wasp ?

Last edited:
A 24 inch boys steer tube is only 4 inches and too short to fit through a 26 inch frame and a 26 inch wheel won't fit a 24 inch fork leg

this is not true. I have a 24" fork with a 26" tire on my chopper bike. the head tube on the bike is the same as a 26" fat tire frame

1549042984425.png

actually a fender will fit. and the tire, while not a 26 X 2.25 is not a "skinny tire". it may look skinny because the rear tire is huge.
A 26 " fender with 26 " braces won't fit braces will be to long . A 26 " fender with 24" braces won't fit either braces will be to short due to wider spacing between front & rear brace holes on fender .

Funny stuff. The 24" fork fits the frame. The 26" wheel fits the 24" fork. A fender will fit the fork with a wheel and tire. You got me on the braces though. Good job!

What has me confused is the OP's picture with the 21" dimension for the length of the truss rods. It really makes no difference what the bends are on the rod if you are measuring in a straight line from mounting point to mounting point. Straight line measuring on my bike is 21" so his rods should fit. The bend angle would only affect the angle of the stem bracket tab. Maybe his illustration with the dimension is incorrect and he was not measuring a straight line from end to end on his rods. :rolleyes:

1549136437553.png

Back