When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Serial number under BB?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Coby Romero

Finally riding a big boys bike
20201112_212238.jpg
20201112_212211.jpg

That's a 'fat bar' frame and a "J" would indicate '46 to me but I'm no Schwinn expert. We'll see what others say. V/r Shawn

Technically I don't think that frame would be correct for a Panther build. Look at the parts of the frame I have circled on your bike and a later straight bar. The bar on yours is the same diameter as the rest of the frame (1"). The later frames (about '50 on) have a smaller diameter bar (I think 7/8"). This later frame would be correct for a Panther build. Generally collectors value the 'fat bar' frame a little more than the later frame so you could probably trade plus a little cash for yours if you wanted the correct frame. V/r Shawn

There were over 90,000 Schwinns built in 1945 and I have never seen anyone ID their 1946 as a 1945 model. J was a war time serial letter so I'm going to say that frame was built in 1945. A and B serials I believe were the 1946 builds.

I seen somewhere on the cabe they possible ID ed some 46 with a J serial number. I didn't get a chance to finish reading everything. Is it possible? I just traded the frame off for a 52 Panther frame and parts to our local Schwinn guru.
There were over 90,000 Schwinns built in 1945 and I have never seen anyone i.d. their 1946 as a 1945 model. J was a war time serial letter so I'm going to say that frame was built in 1945. A and B serials I believe were the 1946 builds.

I seen somewhere on the cabe they possible i.d. ed some 46 with a J serial number. I didn't get a chance to finish reading everything. Is it possible? I just traded the frame off for a 52 Panther frame and parts to our local Schwinn guru.
Everyone assumes these are 1946 models. Not one 1945 model has ever shown up here! Why? Because they say/think they're 46 models. From Schwinn's stated production records, they shipped out 93,185 bicycles in 1945 and the majority were for retail sales.

1605837532328.png

Back