When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 24” Tiger

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The serial is LO7178. After I reached the last layer of grease mushrooms the hub is stamped 56

Well that takes care of the brake lever question. Lots of confusion here on a couple pieces during the last few days and that's all due to Schwinn reusing the serial numbers in multiple years. And not that many years apart! One has to wonder what the heck they were thinking. Or why weren't they thinking! LOL The early post war serial numbers are such a mess and everyone with an early 1948 bike or prior year's Schwinn say their bike is a 1946 model. The early post war C series numbers seem to have been used in the first 3 postwar years starting in 1945.

The Weinmann "Made in Switzerland" brakes are probably correct for this bike. The "Schwinn Approved" versions (still made by Weinmann but marked for Schwinn) were later. The brake lever in your picture was introduced around 1955, the earlier bikes had the previous style (picture below), but yours may have been replaced at some point.

View attachment 1662128
It's very possible that is actually a 1954. These were on the streets in June 1954 in very small quantities. What's the serial number? Could be one of the first middleweights that Schwinn produced.

image.jpg

Well that takes care of the brake lever question. Lots of confusion here on a couple pieces during the last few days and that's all due to Schwinn reusing the serial numbers in multiple years. And not that many years apart! One has to wonder what the heck they were thinking. Or why weren't they thinking! LOL The early post war serial numbers are such a mess and everyone with an early 1948 bike or prior year's Schwinn say their bike is a 1946 model. The early post war C series numbers seem to have been used in the first 3 postwar years starting in 1945.
Yeah I was confused by quite a few things that being the maiden Switzerland on the brake caliper. The lever lever is the newer model. It’s 26” inch not a 24” and the hub says 56 so I’m guessing it’s 56 with The remainder of earlier parts used during manufacturing For this Example.
The front axle was a bit bent which is kind of peculiar. I guess maybe the original owner jumped it one too many times. I Straightened that axle. But some of the bearings have a unusual circular wear spot. One Pedal is bent a little bit. I’m having a hard time getting a skinny wrench for that removal and straightening.

Last edited:
Looks like a legit 1956, other than the seat. The pedals are debatable.

Boy that is an early one, if it was yours and has sentimental value just clean it up and start riding. It is your bike and in the end the decision is yours what to do. You will get both sides of the coin when you ask. If you desire a lowrider chopped bike I would suggest another bike. There seems to be plenty of interest in it and bikes that have already altered are plentiful. Either way good luck
That’s advise l’ll take, thanks. No chop. I’ve been riding it the last three days. Needs new front bearings. Anyplace you can recommend for parts?

I imagine that you've been around bikes before, but if it's been a while, remember that left side pedal has left hand treads. No Righty-tighty on the left side.

Looks like a legit 1956, other than the seat. The pedals are debatable.
They
I imagine that you've been around bikes before, but if it's been a while, remember that left side pedal has left hand treads. No Righty-tighty on the left side.
that’s a good reminder. As many times I removed peddles I still have a fifty fifty chance of getting it right, or the correct direction the first time.

Me too:) I've taken a couple bikes apart recently and get it wrong every time!
Good luck. Beautiful bike. I'd keep it original too, like it rolled of the Schwinn assembly line!

Well, I still like it. How much is it?
It’s 100%! Lol. It’s the least I could do. I’m currently restoring/repairing/derusting. I saved all the cables and cable housing. I had rust on some front bearings Em is causing the painful sounds from the front hub. I popped out the bearings and sanded down the rust areas by hand. I’m very pleased with the results. The Smooth quiet satisfying tone only attainable from a passing train or a early schwinn. I posted a photo of a 24” pizza for size reference.

4D373757-00A7-4231-93FA-7658B80F21C8.jpeg

7957B1B6-CCF0-4BB7-BDC3-406A4D2BEA76.jpeg

F9829170-72F3-4A30-A3A1-E06AFC2CFDE1.jpeg

Back