When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 AMF roadmaster flying falcon?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A coaster bike won't also have a hand brake on the rear from the factory, though it can have a bracket for it such as Schwinn frames. I think there could be models with a coaster rear and front hand brake, though it's more likely a bike store add on.

I've attached some pictures of my single speed, also a 1954. You can see it's a plainer bike (less chrome) than the 3 speeds. Comparing the two, I have to agree with @Adamtinkerer and @Dave Stromberger, yours was most likely a 3 speed.

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

I wouldn't be so sure. I would guess you're more likely to find bikes that still have the wheels but the sheet metal is trashed. If worst comes to worst, find a hub and a set of rims and build the wheels. AMF/CWC built plenty of single speeds with those rims and you can find Sturmey Archer hubs and shifters no problem.

I've attached some pictures of my single speed, also a 1954. You can see it's a plainer bike (less chrome) than the 3 speeds. Comparing the two, I have to agree with @Adamtinkerer and @Dave Stromberger, yours was most likely a 3 speed.

View attachment 1201058

View attachment 1201059

View attachment 1201060

View attachment 1201061

View attachment 1201062
Interesting bike! I always assumed that the Flying Falcon was only a 3-speed with chrome fenders... thank's for the schooli'n!

@AdamS5 I have a set of 26" stepped skiptooth wheels from a 50's girl's Roadmaster frame with the oil port in nice shape if you'd be interested. It has cracks around the seat tube so they wouldn't be stupid expensive but shipping could be ... PM if interested in them & I'll get some pics when I go back to my parent's place. They're not 3 speed just so you know.

Interesting bike! I always assumed that the Flying Falcon was only a 3-speed with chrome fenders... thank's for the schooli'n!
To tell the truth, I wonder why they thought a single speed version was needed. They were already building plenty of single speeds on their other frames.

Hey Adam - I'm the weirdo that asked you what kind of bike that was today! A Google search for "Roadmaster flying falcon" brought me straight to this thread on my favorite forum. :p small world. Sure was a beautiful smoke free day for a ride with the family! Always good to see other locals riding vintage. Take care!

20201003_155916.jpg

20201003_142941.jpg

Back