When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Black Phantom in UK

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
View attachment 199784View attachment 199784
Hi, this is my 1954 Black Phantom.
It must be very rare in the UK and certainly receives a lot of attention when I'm out riding it.
It used to belong to Gus Dudgeon, Elton John's record producer.

Just to be on the safe side while riding in the lovely UK roads, I would move the bell ringer
on the handlebars to the right side. :cool:

(sorry...it's 2jakes... rather low brow dog's humor :rolleyes:)

Seriously...that is a beauty...thanks for sharing !
Cheers.
Jake

Super nice Phantom. Is there a story on how you ended up stealing this from Gus? :D

Here's my 53 that I grabbed from Ozark Flyer. He did a nice job recovering the seat before he decided to give me the bike.
Thanks GT. Yours is earlier than mine and looks in great condition.
I bought mine last July from a neighbour, Howard Werth who was front man of a band called Audience late 60s early 70s. (Google the band).
Audience were also produced by Gus Dudgeon. Gus imported this Phantom in the mid 90s but was killed in a car accident late 90s, after which Howard, a friend of Gus, received the bike.
In saw it some years ago at his house, and jumped at the chance to buy it last year.

Nice, I also am in the UK, I have a Schwinn Heavy Duti, you should join us on the big cruise in Bournemouth next month!!

Nice, I also am in the UK, I have a Schwinn Heavy Duti, you should join us on the big cruise in Bournemouth next month!!
That would be great but.....
Unfortunately, there's no way I can get a Phantom into the back of an Audi TT and I sure ain't cycling!

Phantoms had their own unique saddle and in my opinion about THE most comfortable saddle ever made for these old Balloo tire bikes...
Made by the Mesinger Co of NY who also made Indian, Harley etc Motorcycle saddles before WWII along with a variety of other bicycle seats.
email me direct and I can send you a pic of a properly restored Phantom seat. The seat you have there was made in the 1980s by Person Majestic
and sold as an accessory seat for cruiser / vintage balloon bicycles and was also found on the Columbia 5 star reproduction. Not a bad saddle at all
but the actual Schwinn seat beats the repro by a mile.
[email protected]

Hi, thanks for your comments.
I live near Dover, Kent, but know Bournemouth as I had a girlfriend there in my student days in the late 60s, early 70s.
The saddle on my Phantom is a Persons, which I thought was one of Schwinn's suppliers.
What saddle do you have and what sort of price?
Chris

Just to be on the safe side while riding in the lovely UK roads, I would move the bell ringer
on the handlebars to the right side. :cool:

(sorry...it's 2jakes... rather low brow dog's humor :rolleyes:)

Seriously...that is a beauty...thanks for sharing !
Cheers.
Jake

Thanks Jake!
As it happens, I've removed the bell completely as I don't like the fact that, although it says Schwinn Approved, it's made in Japan. I just use the horn now, or yell

Thanks Jake!
As it happens, I've removed the bell completely as I don't like the fact that, although it says Schwinn Approved, it's made in Japan. I just use the horn now, or yell

I found out that the "Schwinn" ringer on my "54 Phantom was an add-on from 60s -70s. (USA made)
Later ones were made overseas.
Bell ringers have been around for a very long time.
But I have yet found a Schwinn bicycle ad with Schwinn ringers from the 50s.
I hope someone proves me wrong & tells me that "Schwinn"ringers were available
in the 40s or 50s.
If I locate a ringer from that era, I'll trade you for a piece of grass or stone @ Wimbledon ! :o

( for those who don't know, it's not the smoking kind...but rather where the pros play tennis
:mad:)

cheers !
jake

I found out that the "Schwinn" ringer on my "54 Phantom was an add-on from 60s -70s. (USA made)
Later ones were made overseas.
Bell ringers have been around for a very long time.
But I have yet found a Schwinn bicycle ad with Schwinn ringers from the 50s.
I hope someone proves me wrong & tells me that "Schwinn"ringers were available
in the 40s or 50s.
If I locate a ringer from that era, I'll trade you for a piece of grass or stone @ Wimbledon ! :o

( for those who don't know, it's not the smoking kind...but rather where the pros play tennis
:mad:)

cheers !
jake
Alas, Jake, I fear the hallowed grass probably originates from China: everything else in this country seems to!

Back