When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Blue Schwinn Tiger

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
When @Tim s posted his early Corvette, I was struck by the seat post decal, the early version of the "Art Deco" type which I had never seen on any middleweight before that. So I've been keeping an eye out and this Tiger popped up on EBay a few weeks ago. The serial number was used in 1957, and that's how the bike was listed, but this serial was also used late in 1953 and with the early brake handles, early head badge, early seat post decal and a 1954 rear hub, this one has to be a 1954. One thing I didn't expect, the serial was stamped in October 1953 but the hub is dated June 1954, an eight month difference. I have a balloon Jaguar with a serial stamped the same week as the Tiger, but the Jaguar's hub is dated January 1954. I can only guess that there were some snags getting middleweight production up to speed. The wheels on the bike now are replacements, in the seller's pictures you can see that the rims were pretty far gone and she said the front wheel was junk. But I did get the original rear wheel with the bike.
The seller's pictures:

BST - 1.jpg

BST - 2.jpg

BST - 3.jpg

Last edited:
And here's Tim's bike, and a thread that @Pantmaker posted showing the two versions of the "Art Deco" decal side-by-side.

Last edited:
I’m glad you bought the bike. So impressive that you caught the details and knew what it was. Will you just detail this bike? Or a resto? Any outcome, glad it’s yours, and looking forward to later pics.

I’m glad you bought the bike. So impressive that you caught the details and knew what it was. Will you just detail this bike? Or a resto? Any outcome, glad it’s yours, and looking forward to later pics.
Eventually I'd like to get it back as close to original as possible. First I need to remove a lot of dirt and rust. And find some better rims.

Last edited:
In a box somewhere, I have copies of Bicycle Journal from March '54, announcing the new Corvette. And I own a '54 serial 'vette as well. They're out there!

I would really like to see that! Some of these first middleweights had 1953 serial numbers but they had mid 54 dated Sturmeys. Schwinn didn't normally stock pile frames for months on end but there may have been some type of parts shortage for these early built middleweights. The most logical part that may have been in short supply could have been the middleweight Weinmann brake calipers.

When @Tim s posted his early Corvette, I was struck by the seat post decal, the early version of the "Art Deco" type which I had never seen on any middleweight before that. So I've been keeping an eye out and this Tiger popped up on EBay a few weeks ago. The serial number was used in 1957, and that's how the bike was listed, but this serial was also used late in 1953 and with the early brake handles, early head badge, early seat post decal and a 1954 rear hub, this one has to be a 1954. One thing I didn't expect, the serial was stamped in October 1953 but the hub is dated June 1954, an eight month difference. I have a balloon Jaguar with a serial stamped the same week as the Tiger, but the Jaguar's hub is dated January 1954. I can only guess that there were some snags getting middleweight production up to speed. The wheels on the bike now are replacements, in the seller's pictures you can see that the rims were pretty far gone and she said the front wheel was junk. But I did get the original rear wheel with the bike.
The seller's pictures:

View attachment 1780949

View attachment 1780950

View attachment 1780951

Nice Tiger, love that blue. I've posted about this elsewhere, but I too have an early-production middleweight: my Corvette is stamped December of '53, with a hub date of 5/54. I sadly managed to wipe off what was left of my seat tube decal with overly exuberant cleaning shortly after purchase, so what you see is a reproduction.

E0220D9C-28B1-4B89-A06A-F4CEFDAC13A9.jpeg

0D1723C5-019C-4764-AD93-545DBD74918D.jpeg

Nice Tiger, love that blue. I've posted about this elsewhere, but I too have an early-production middleweight: my Corvette is stamped December of '53, with a hub date of 5/54. I sadly managed to wipe off what was left of my seat tube decal with overly exuberant cleaning shortly after purchase, so what you see is a reproduction.

View attachment 1782575

View attachment 1782576
I like that green, you did a good job on that one. And your hub date is right for one of the early bikes, there are serial numbers from late 1953 but the earliest Sturmey hub date I've seen on a middleweight is April 1954, one month after the article @Adamtinkerer mentioned. There's got to be some earlier ones out there, but not many.

Last edited:
Back