When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alvl1936

Look Ma, No Hands!
HPIM0614[1].JPG
i bought a 1954 ??? schwinn corvette with serial number (L01560X ) why the X @ the end of the number ?

Attachments

• HPIM0609.JPG
    HPIM0609.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I reckon the bike is a 1960. The L0 of 1954 was January '54 in which the middleweight bicycle had not yet been introduced, which wouldn't be until the holiday season around November of '54 for the '55 models. Pictures would confirm this, but I bet it has a V-style chainguard instead of the hockey stick.

The X is anybody's guess. Pictures of the serial may help; it could be another number that was weakly stamped, a double stamp that ended up looking like an X, or just a flip-up.

That is a 1956 serial number. No middleweights in Jan of 1954. Another one of Schwinn's duplicated serial numbers.
07/18 to 07/31 of 1956

The X was stamped by someone else. I've seen quite a few bikes where someone was experimenting with their new metal stamping tools.

Here is one that's way confusing. I was hoping it was a real 55 model with the late 54 serial number. Turns out the seller is way off on his bike's year. The serial is either a 8/01-8/07/1952 number or a 5/28/1957 number. Seller says it's a 1954 model. :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255234843?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That is a confusing one. The serial also pops up December '53. But the '54 dated hub and the '55 Corvette only seat raises an eyebrow as it seems too coincidental to get both of those early Vette parts if it's not a very early Vette.

That is a confusing one. The serial also pops up December '53. But the '54 dated hub and the '55 Corvette only seat raises an eyebrow as it seems too coincidental to get both of those early Vette parts if it's not a very early Vette.

Wow, this is the first tripledupe serial number I've come across. Still, no middleweights made with those early dates. My eyebrows are squinting and I'm thinking this Corvette was put together from multiple bikes or their pieces. It does have what looks like the 55 only mayweg also. Chainguard is not near as weathered and rusted as the frame so I really do think this frame is not wearing it's original issued parts. That's really unfortunate since I was considering this piece.

Wow, this is the first tripledupe serial number I've come across. Still, no middleweights made with those early dates. My eyebrows are squinting and I'm thinking this Corvette was put together from multiple bikes or their pieces. It does have what looks like the 55 only mayweg also. Chainguard is not near as weathered and rusted as the frame so I really do think this frame is not wearing it's original issued parts. That's really unfortunate since I was considering this piece.

Weren't the bars specific to '55s as well? It seems like these have a straight pull back when all of my 'vettes have flared out a little bit. Most common part to be changed over 60 years but another thing to think about.

I think my bike is an L0 code too. Always hoped it was a Nov. '54 but I bought a '56 seat so I call it a '56.

i see alot of this is my opinion stuff in the bike hobby without any factory info to authenticate or dispell what and when they did somthing,if the corvette was offerd sometime in 55 it seems the parts were prolly made ahead of time?it would be interesting to know when the fork legs were dated

Back