When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1954 Green Phantom Schwinn BFG Edition for sale

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryann

On Training Wheels
Unretouched pictures of the bike and the original kickstand wrench.

It is unusual that I have the provenance of the bike. My Dad is 80 years old and has an excellent memory of the bike. It has been owned by the our family for the entire 67 year time frame since it was purchased at your store. The bike migrated with the family as they moved to different states. It went from Hazleton, Pennsylvania to Baltimore, Maryland to Alexandria Virginia, to Leesburg Virginia and now sits in my home in Bethlehem Pennsylvania.

No paint or chrome have been restored. The original opalescent green paint is the last year run, replaced the next year with hunter green. For every 100 bikes manufactured, 5 were green and the others were either black or red.

No parts have been replaced or restored. This further adds to the rarity, in that 1954 was the last year Schwinn provided all of the options on their bikes. In following years, Schwinn changed their sales model to allow the consumer to add bike options "a la carte", to ensure that they remain competitive in bike sales arena. So, this bike still has all of her original options. For example, the horn remains on the gas tank, as do the front & rear bumper lights, and the original locking key remains in place.

To further add to the rarity, each BFG store only received 3 bikes from Schwinn as a sales incentive for their better customers. My Great Grandfather was the coal mine superintendent at the time and was responsible for purchasing tires for the coal mine's heavy equipment which is why he was offered this bike. This bike is unique when compared to other bikes sold at bike shops of the same vintage because it displayed multiple BFG stickers and a metal plate. All of which remain in tact.

The old timers at my local bike shop recently educated me to the fact that many 'girls bikes' of the same vintage exist today and are readily available. It is unusual to find a 'boys bike' and not many are available. For the simple reason, boys are typically harder on their bikes than girls. As evidenced by the deteriorated leather seat, (original seat frame).

The tires are vintage but not original to the bike. There is very light rust, consistent with the age.

$6000 + shipping

20210327_163623.jpg

20210327_163746.jpg

20210327_163805.jpg

20210327_163812.jpg

20210327_163817.jpg

20210327_163836.jpg

20210327_163852.jpg

20210328_102602.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back