When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet

-
Price
gone
Zipcode
I'm actually not concerned except the interest of the date made, Old Style Springer fork and Pin Stripes on chain guard.

Finally The serial numbers are up, Nov. 29-30. For a Deluxe it is a bit early and would be of the first release that does not appear in catalogs. Just a month or so, it became a 1955. Because the frame and fork are no different than most other models only for the decal it's a Hornet. Yet the same is true on most all Schwinn made, it's all interchangeable in one way or another.

The pin stripes on your guard are curious as Photos of others reflect the area where your stripes are. For this, I hunted down every verity to try and find this model with a Springer and the same chain guard with pin stripes on any other mid 50's Schwinn. They can appear to have strips but it's just the angles on the guard reflecting light. That is, it seems that, of all colors, this darker blue can reflect images of pin stipes, on this type of guard, better than other colors.

BTW, that repainted bike has a deluxe guard, (fantasy) it is not correct.

However, there is a 1956 that appears to have pin stripes, the photo is too small to be sure yet, doubling its size then, they appear to be just a reflection. That's why, weeks ago, I asked to see photo of chain guard; or an adoption from similar photographs that are not factory pin stripes. Most certainly any with them is very rare or do not exist. Yet to the contrary, this 56 may have them: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1956-schwinn-built-bf-goodrich-deluxe-171226899

It will not let me link the photos but, apparently was generated some time back at Ebay, and the description of details appear to be very accurate that, it's completely, (give or take its tires and the names of colors) original, on the money. New Style springer, light blue light, the seat, all match a 56 build and model description. Otherwise, there are other colors that were built with Old Style Springer and none, with old or new style, on the net, that I could find, (Looked at lots and lots) in any color, have pin stripes on Chain guards.
I also found your other photo of chain guard, where pin strips are painted on.
View attachment 1475827
So, this guard is surely a curiosity. Did the guy who 'Professionally" touched up the paint do that? Otherwise, it appears to be a very rare thing to have any guard of this type, in any color, with pin stripes.
The repainted bike has correct chainguard. Some come with them as well.

That couldn't be further from the truth. A piece of metal was stamped into the drop and then it was stamped with a serial number. That stamping date was recorded. Then that drop out was thrown into the parts bucket and only god knows when it was use to build a frame. Here's an extreme example. In late 1980 Schwinn workers joined a Union and then went on Strike for 13 weeks. No bikes were produced, but Schwinn was making parts and they produced a known 998,000 head tubes with the MR serial numbers, December 1980. During the entire production year of 1981 those 1980 serial stamped head tubes were used on the 1981 production. A serial number is a serial number, nothing more.
Thats believable, I recently posted a bill of sale and booklet to a new 1982 Varsity with a 1980 serial number. It could have been fixed up, 30+ years ago, thats when I got into the hobby. The owner @ the time may have taken
some liberties with it.

Last edited:
Back