When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Schwinn Hornet?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

streetrodder_1940

Look Ma, No Hands!
I acquired a 1954 Schwinn Hornet with a B. F. Goodrich head badge and chain guard decal. It was stored in a garage for around 40 years. The bike is in good condition for being over 60 years old. A search of the serial number came back as an original Chicago Schwinn but the number was used twice, Once in 1954 and once in 1956. Further searches lead me to believe it is a 1954. I bought new tires, handlebars (the original ones bent beyond repair) and horn unit.
My dilemma is I have had several offers between $300 and $400, which I declined. Last night I got an offer of $600. Although the offer is tempting I am unsure if this is an offer to accept. I'm torn between letting it go for that price, Holding out for more or keeping it. This is why I am turning to the members of The Cabe for their knowledge and experience. Your opinions anr welcome and appreciated.

I've asked the mods to move this--not a Pre--33 bike. Personally I think six bills is in range if you are selling locally and don't have the hassle of shipping. V/r Shawn

Looks more like a '57, no? Are the wheels S7 or S2? In any case, that would be a hard bike to replicate for $600. I think you should hold on to it.
I believe they are S2. The serial number didn't come up in the '57 listings, only '54 & '56. There seems to be more similarities to the '54 than the '56

The chainguard seems to hint at it being a later middleweight (S7) bike. The wheels should be stamped S2 or S7. If it's a middleweight $600 seems more in line. I sure as heck wouldn't sell a clean tank S2 bike for $600, personally!

Personally, I'd think that's more in the correct range but totally up to you. For pricing, I like to consider how easily a bike might be replaced for said price. Even at that price it might be hard...

Back