When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Shelby Airflo,model 52a

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cptnhwdy69

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello,I picked this bike up,this past week and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on it.I was told it is a 1950s Shelby Airflo,model 52a.Was also wondering if someone knew how to date these by the serial number.I was told this bike was actually produced to compete with the Schwinn Phantom in 1950,which seems kinda cool as they have a striking resemblance lol.This bike has an original decal on the downtube that reads AMF in the middle and The Shelby Co,Cleveland,Ohio,around the AMF.To me the paint looks original,with deep patina,but I am thinking the pin striping may have been touched up along time ago.The tank does have some age cracks in the paint.I also dont think the messenger seat is original or maybe even the pedals.Pretty sure the front fork decals being straight white pinstripe lines is original.Any info or help on this bike would be greatly appreciated.Thx=]
1526667_10152202446193586_1608690326_n.jpg

Yep, 54-55 AMF Cleveland OH built Shelby Airflow. 53 was the last year for the rear facing drop outs...So I will say it is probably an early 54 because of that and because of the Big ol Shelby headbadge (that changed to a very thin close to the headtube style soon after). Also that's when the seat post clamp went away and a expandable seat post was started to be used. . Seat is not original, tough to tell about the pedals. ( I could be wrong on this) I think its Not a 52a but an "Airflo" Super deluxe model 20611 (AMF model #). AMF was the only one to offer the Shelby bike with grooves on the Tank, Chain guard and light.. Shelby Cycle co in Shelby Ohio did not . Everything else looks good. The rear rack should have a light in it. Its also one of the Last years with that style Springer fork. Serial numbers are tough to figure on these but there should be a C around a W near the Serial # with a 54 or 55 near it. That Should/could be the year.
Enjoy it!!
Tom

Last edited:
Ya there is a rear brake/stop light built right into the rear chrome rack.Is this bike worth the resto or leave it alone?

Ya looked under the crabk and it has a few numbers on the left side and to the far right side is a 54.So 1954.Thx again=]

I also used a little trick I learned to get a top layer of paint of original paint and have so far done my front fender and underneath is the original vibrant red it is suppose to be.So the black frame and forks are original paint and when i am done the red will be as well,so all original paint=]

AMF built Shelby Airflo .. 1954-55 ...

I have this one.... Original paint ... Decals on the tank & gaurd say " Shelby" & "Airflo" ......

attachment.php

Last edited:
Just a good cleaning and you have a great looking Shelby.If you decide to sell it should bring a good price.

Nice,is yours painted or original?I can see where there was a decal on my chain guard that looks like it reads airflo.In the grooves of the chain guard/fender light/tank/rear rak,are those grooves suppose to be red as well?

The decal is correct and should say "Airflo" Some of the tanks had a "Shelby" small script decal on them. The grooves should be all painted and all the same color. Red would be correct for your bike. My wifes girls bike is a non restored 100% original blue framed bike and all the grooves are blue. Here is a pic of it. Not sure if you can see the decals but they should be the same for the boys bike.
gmxTq84l.jpg

Don't restore/repaint it. Just clean and go. Nice solid bike.

Last edited:
Back