When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 BLUE Radiobike Restoration

-

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Well, it seems I have secured a parts bike with a very elusive part. I shall be receiving the bike tomorrow. That said, I will now begin the MILD restoration of my 1955 Radiobike, one of a handful in blue. I have had a DISASTEROUS week in my personal life and finding these parts has really brightened my spirits. I would like to thank my CABE FAMILY for hooking me up.

The goal is to have all of the work DONE by September 1st. Why? It must be done in time for the town cruise-in, the 2017 Mum Festival show. There is a local AM station that plays oldies, the bike will be on display playing the music. I also have an idea on how to get it to play a broader range of 50s and 60s music without molesting the tube radio, and using my truck to do it.

By DONE, I mean this to do list:

1) Get the chrome cleaned up and polished as best as possible. There are rust spots, I hope to remedy them or upgrade parts if necessary. Fork cap and bars are the worst.

2) Find a Bendix Aviation 2-speed drivetrain w/ nice original wheels. I would like to track down the past collector-type owners of this bike to see if anyone has the exact parts out of this bike. Between the time it was discovered on RRB and sold to me, someone took the Aviation 2-speed setup out. Thank God pics from it's discovery are still online and I can see the paint lines on the frame from the missing cable guides. Worst case scenario, I buy all the bits and pieces and assemble and chrome it all myself.

3) Full mechanical overhaul. All hubs and bearings dismantled completely, cleaned, and re-lubed.

4) Attempt to bring out the paint better on the frame and fork. Dulled finish and surface rust throughout. Thy will be done.

5) Fix a broken weld on the carrier rack and tack weld the correct mounting bracket back on to the chainguard

6) Repair the light

7) Mill-out a new aluminum knob for the tuner (I'll need to borrow an original knob for this. Anyone willing to help?)

8) Last, but most importantly, REPAIR THE RADIO! A buddy of mine actually makes A-B battery packs for his portable radios and I have the number of a gentleman who can do the chassis work. Having the antenna now makes that possible!

Progress pics to come Friday night and as time allows....

dscn3214-jpg.jpg

17757536_908526369289555_4725706715175506058_n-jpg.jpg

Still got this song running through my head. It's a good one! There will be lots of music in this thread.

Love the bike and wish you the best on the restoration! It was a lucky kid who got this back and the day and could ride around listening to some tunes!

This morning, I picked this up. I thought I bought a parts bike! Ended up with one that was complete instead. Sweet! The more the merrier! It has the parts I need, which I'll dismantle and study to make reproductions. I cannot part this, too rare and too intact. I have my dream bike, I would like to start making parts for these also - hopefully others who share in the dream can complete their bikes as well. The inside tank label was mint, and the antenna in excellent condition.

upload_2017-4-29_21-32-12.png

upload_2017-4-29_21-33-6.png

upload_2017-4-29_21-33-19.png

upload_2017-4-29_21-33-38.png

upload_2017-4-29_21-33-47.png

Last edited:
This weekend has been very busy! I have been trying to bring back the paint on the frame and fork, with little effect. So, I have broken the tires and put the wheels in the garage, they have no purpose to me anymore. I am moving on to the parts. I have made a post about my paint problem in the "Restoration Tips" forum, awaiting any replies. Paradise, for some a land of milk and honey, is being by yourself with old metal and your tools ;):cool:

upload_2017-4-30_21-52-41.png

upload_2017-4-30_21-53-15.png

upload_2017-4-30_21-54-17.png

upload_2017-4-30_21-54-27.png

upload_2017-4-30_21-54-42.png

upload_2017-4-30_21-52-53.png

Back