When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 BLUE Radiobike Restoration

-
After some debate last night, there is only one method I can try on this frame and fork. Otherwise, it's in for a repaint!

Time for Evapo-Rust.

THE DIP!!

Dip.jpg

enhanced-buzz-3972-1363042525-16.jpg

rogerrabbit-disneyscreencaps.com-3780.jpg

No, not all. Many who do own Radiobikes restore them as two-speeds, I have yet to see a restored single-speed bike. the red one I picked up over the weekend is a single-speed model. It shows no signs of ever having the cable guides installed.

Let us know how the Evap dip goes. Question. Can you tell me what Huffy's paint practices were during this time? I see blue and gray or maybe a silver underneath but no primer. Was the candy's base coat a primer?

The radio chassis will be dropped off to have the radio inspected and repaired as necessary on Sunday morning. The battery pack will br made Saturday. The antenna from the red bike will be borrowed for the work.

I may have the radio from the other bike checked out too while I'm at it.

"Daddy won a radio. He tuned it to a country show. I was rocking in the craddle to the sound of a steel guitar"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let us know how the Evap dip goes. Question. Can you tell me what Huffy's paint practices were during this time? I see blue and gray or maybe a silver underneath but no primer. Was the candy's base coat a primer?
I sure will! I'll test it on a small area first.

To answer your question...

A silver undercoat was sprayed. This was essentially a primer, but it has a high lead content. It allowed the candy paint to have the shine that it did. I hope this helps, and I could very well be wrong. Just my observations!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UPDATE!

The radio for this bike and the red one were dropped off in the care of a gentleman, who, for decades refurbished old radios. I got his number from a close friend of mine and I trust this person to do his duty to this beauties. Until yesterday morning, he had never heard of a Huffy Radiobike. The neat thing about old radios is, no two models look alike!

Rock and roll is here to stay, indeed....

what tool did you use to take off the tank- it would take a special slotted tool.

If the screws are indeed original, you need a "clutch bit". Dayton Tool Crib off Needmore Rd. is the only local place that has them. I bought three, and they're only a buck or two! Someone swapped all of the mounting screws on my blue bike with grade 8 Phillips screws. I'll be swapping those out, and I'll bet Au-Ve-Co or McMaster Carr will have them.

http://www.daytontoolcrib.com/

Back