When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 BLUE Radiobike Restoration

-
I have decided that I will hold onto those minty chrome rims for a rainy day, and have a local shop re-zinc plate a pair of original old rims I have. For $110 each, I can have them done within two weeks. Had I known it was that cheap and quick, I would have done it a long time ago lol.

Big shout out to a local collector who let me into his home to see his bikes, and his unrestored Dial-A-Ride and Radiobike. I know now what finish I wish to achieve.

Last edited:
I have decided that I will hold onto those minty chrome rims for a rainy day, and have a local shop re-nickle plate a pair of original old rims I have. For $110 each, I can have them done within two weeks. Had I known it was that cheap and quick, I would have done it a long time ago lol.

Big shout out to a local collector who let me into his home to see his bikes, and his unrestored Dial-A-Ride and Radiobike. I know now what finish I wish to achieve.

I don't think nickle is the correct finish. Most 50's bikes I've seen that didn't have chrome had a cad finish--that didn't hold up well. May want to double check before you're sporting some yellowish tinted rims. V/r Shawn

I don't think nickle is the correct finish. Most 50's bikes I've seen that didn't have chrome had a cad finish--that didn't hold up well. May want to double check before you're sporting some yellowish tinted rims. V/r Shawn

You're right, it's zinc. I can't keep my words straight. Huffy didn't start chroming their rims until around 1957/58. I think the others did too around that time.

The new stainless spokes for the back wheel should be in today. The front wheel will be finished and dropped off at the shop to be trued when I pick up the rear spokes.

The front wheel is being assembled from original spokes salvaged found in the boneyard, brass nipples that were cleaned and polished from the old spray-bombed wheels, a correct hub from a local collector, and a rare NOS zinc-plated rim I got at the Fairborn swap.

The rear wheel is to be assembled using original brass nipples that are cleaned and polished just like the front. Spokes will be new stainless, and the rim will be an original, re-plated zinc to match. It will have the correct Bendix Aviation 2-speed trans and hub this bike used to have. The front will serve as a sample of what finish I need to achieve at the platter's. Total build time, including platting, is two weeks.

Thus far, I am on schedule to complete the bike by September 1st. I may get it done earlier. The only unknown variable is how long it will take to get the first batch of knobs milled and when my new inside tank label will be done.

Last edited:
Updates:

Front wheel is still in the bike shop getting trued. As soon as I get it back, the tire is going on and front lug nuts will be polished. Hopefully, I can finish putting the front end together.

Battery pack was built and both radios tested with it. The red one blew a tube and I had to swap one over. The blue one barely came on, I was able to get a Southern Gospel station playing Bill Gaither, and 84 WHAS out of Louisville, KY. Then...nothing. Something probably burned out and it is going back to my radio guy this week for re-repairs. At 62 years old, it probably blew a capacitor or resistor.

I have found a nicer, correct crank on eBay. It will be here Saturday, I HOPE it is the right size. It looks straight and good - just a enough patina to match the pedals and chain ring. If all is good, the bottom bracket will be reassembled.

I have found that Bar Keeper's Friend has somewhat brought back the frame and fork. They're still very dark, but they are BLUE under all that dirt and rust. A repaint may still be in it's future, but I will determine that after it's together. See below:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/tried-bar-keepers-friend-on-the-radiobike-results.115010/

A couple sneak peaks of the re-assembly, and the finished fork contrasting the unfinished frame! One side came out REALLY NICE!

Shout out to @Reesatheresa for suggesting Meguiars, it REALLY helped!

f6855bc80550c88486de5826ab95aa61.jpg
d68467292e1a48918138a1bb1f22a400.jpg
95ea2d65c7508b2a6f2e6bd9d8525cd6.jpg
05fd7884a6bfd7f67f3f73fe7eff1bf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back