When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Enfield with Dynohub...just got it

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Well, once again I troll the waters of Craigslist and come upon a listing void of photos. Sellers name and phone number were there, so I figured what the heck. He sent a bunch of photos (I was hoping for a 1930's bike), and although it was a girls bike it had the Dynohub. Condition looked great, wasn't more than a half hour from my house, never had this Marque before, so I figured what the heck.

Turns out he got the bike from its original owner while cleaning out her house. She was downsizing and couldn't take it with her, so he got it. Pretty crazy the amount of striping on this thing! Oh, the Dyno does work (I tested it before I bought it last night) and it's missing a brake shoe which I have. Fork looks like a Raleigh, so maybe someone can confirm it Enfield was owned by them back in 1955.

Enjoy the "as purchased" photos. Hmm...my fourth bike in about two weeks. Once again, things getting out of control very quickly...😬

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

I checked on-line and Redditch is about 15 miles south of Birmingham, so I doubt that fork has anything to do with Raleigh. That style is associated with Raleigh since they used it all during the '60's, but I've seen Birmingham-built Hercules from the '50's that had very similar forks. Put it side by side with some of your Raleighs and see if there's any difference you can see, I'm guessing they may be close but not identical.
That bike has survived in nice shape, she looks good for her age!

@Oilit I needed another girls bike like a hole in the head, but I just couldn't pass this one up. I forgot to say that the bike also came with an additional set of tires (Kenda), so really worth what I paid for it.

Yes, the fork is a bit different which I noticed upon initial inspection, but I just didn't know if they were altered for another manufacturer from Raleigh. I love the chrome chain guard and fenders, and this paint will polish up quite nicely. 😎

Bike appears to be all original with the exception of the tires...grips...and two plastic cable holds.

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1362.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

frame bits and headset Brampton

latter will likely have floating U-races with 1/8" ball

note the "plug with flange" deluxe forged fork ends

unusual frame construction of lugged head and seat paired with lugless shell

placement of rear lamp on drive side suggests it may have been produced for the domestic market

what make are the lamps? Miller, other?

one is always advised with these to "keep your powder dry"

-----

Last edited:
@Oilit I needed another girls bike like a hole in the head, but I just couldn't pass this one up. I forgot to say that the bike also came with an additional set of tires (Kenda), so really worth what I paid for it.

Yes, the fork is a bit different which I noticed upon initial inspection, but I just didn't know if they were altered for another manufacturer from Raleigh. I love the chrome chain guard and fenders, and this paint will polish up quite nicely. 😎

Bike appears to be all original with the exception of the tires...grips...and two plastic cable holds.

View attachment 1666296

View attachment 1666297
Don't feel bad, I've never bought a bike I didn't need, at least not in the last day or two.

I just noticed this. Look at the closeup photo of the head badge. Appears that the badge didn't quite fit into the allotted space on the head tube, and needed to be "mashed" in at the top. Never saw that happen on a bike before. Poor planning. 🤪

Last edited:
Back