When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Flying Star Pictures Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hey guys, when you look at the second picture of my bike at the beginning of the thread, you can see a square piece of steel that holds my kickstand on. Is that correct?
As far as I know, Schwinn wasn't bragging about the post war detachable kickstand. Whis is no surprize B/C they can squeeze the two small bars in untill they'll never get tight and right. Prewar they used Miller brand and would have had a narrower rectangle steel plate almost half the width your square is. .

Yours would of, should of, had this post war Miller (Improved? maybe but others were crappier and squeezed in the mount worse) in photos below except this is photo is for a 24" Juvenal.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, waffle pedals. I disassembled them, cleaned up everything, but still have to try and clean some white paint off one surface of two of the pedal blocks. When I got the bike the ENTIRE bike had been painted white with red and blue stars painted on it. I bought it from a professor at the University of Kansas who rode it to class every day. I bought it for the new tires and unique rear rack. He told me that he painted it that way so that 1) no one would want to steal it or 2) if it were stolen, it would be easy to find.

I've seen three different types of pedals on the middleweight Spitfires, and I don't have a clue of what was the actual factory issue/spec... The 1955 catalog images of the Spit, Hornets and some others depict these pedals.

1658090464475.png

Those look like Torrington to me, and most likely rebuildable. The picture omits the outside view on both pedals so you can't tell for sure, but most Torringtons are. Most waffle pedals are disposable things that cannot be taken apart.

Yes, waffle pedals. I disassembled them, cleaned up everything, but still have to try and clean some white paint off one surface of two of the pedal blocks. When I got the bike the ENTIRE bike had been painted white with red and blue stars painted on it. I bought it from a professor at the University of Kansas who rode it to class every day. I bought it for the new tires and unique rear rack. He told me that he painted it that way so that 1) no one would want to steal it or 2) if it were stolen, it would be easy to find.
I don't think Schwinn had waffle pedals yet in 55. I checked my hornet and had forgot mine were replaced wit reflector newer.

However, first photo below Ebay has it correct: Seller does not show the Schwinn or maybe AS stamp on side cups but, these look like they will. this set looks are pretty scrappy but I put link below so, if they have Schwinn's stamp on the ends, that's what U should have. Ask seller to show them. I have a 55 girl ballooner set but caps are too crappy to say if AS or Schwinn is stamped in the caps. and of course, size makes a difference between girl and boy's

It's pretty much the same, not to chop em down B/C Schwinn are usually better than other makes. But for Schwin they are rather standard 50's low end set.

In 58 last photo below, it's the same rubber blocks but, these will not have a nut at ends rather it's a cheaper modern push washer/ lock thing verses more workable nut. .
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133971178088?campid=5335809022

This is next generation 58/9 Ebay auction title: "Schwinn Deluxe Spitfire 1/2" Pedals 1958". Says from a Deluxe but, these types did not have Deluxe pedals. Last two photos below:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, thanks you guys. I appreciate you posting these pictures Jeff. I was just thinking that somebody needs to start a thread. A Schwinn timeline for pedals with pictures and bike models each pedal was used on. I've looked all over the web and that information has been really hard to find.

I was looking at these too but couldn't pull the trigger at $195.00 They're repops but they're the only ones I've ever seen.

481E4271-C974-44AD-9CAA-69D99E505596.jpeg

8A9C1C60-3157-4AAD-93FE-D2C6CC95B42C.jpeg

F8F2ED7E-EAB9-416F-BA7D-547EDF2E35DA.jpeg

Back