When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Jaguar frameset....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scale

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up a 1955 Jaguar frameset a few years back and i had forgotten that i had stuffed it into the attic. The wheels that it came with were not the original 3 speed but just single and it didnt have any fenders. I think it used to be red or maroon but the sun faded it so bad it appears green? Neat looking frame. Ill probably polish out the paint or whats left of it and just run it like this. It has both brake levers but sadly only the original rear caliper. I dont know how hard they are to come buy but it looks like the have some crazy long reach. I have a corvette in about the same condtion. I wonder if the brakes are the same. Either way i know the rear one i do have just says Weinmann Switzerland on it. Id like to find a front compatible one so i have both front and rear if possible. I am thinking these must have only come on these bikes as i havent come up with much. Some knuckle head has a pair of them on ebay for sale for ~200 bucks...which is insane

The middleweight calipers won't work on a balloon model. The Jag calipers have a longer reach and they are wider. The later calipers for the rear on a Sting Ray might work after changing out the pivot bolt. On the back they are marked 1080. The markings on the front are different though if that makes any difference to you.

54-5 Jaguar is heavy weight frame with S2 rims, the brakes are also 2 yr only so kinda rare. All Corvettes are middle weights with S7 rims so nothing is compatible.

Look for a Walmart Chinese Schwann balloon ”cruiser” in FB marketplace or Craigslist. They’re usually cheap and they’ll probably have bigger brake calipers.

Depending on what fork you've got, these might fit and be easier to find.Thread 'Schwinn Cantilever Fork Mount Front Rim Brakes $115' https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-cantilever-fork-mount-front-rim-brakes-115.116908/
IMG_7605.JPG

Plus they're age appropriate. They're still about the same price as the jag caliper on eBay, but in my opinion, cooler!

The later calipers used on the Cruiser 5's have a larger diameter pivot bolt if I remember correctly. The Pivot bolt diameter has to be the same as the old Weinman pieces to fit the hole in the fork.

Back