When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 or 1956 ? Schwinn Black Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Picker10

Look Ma, No Hands!
Recent acquisition: This Schwinn Black Phantom serial # R03009. When checking the serial number on line, I received the message that Schwinn had used this serial number twice. Once in April of 1955 and once in November of 1956. I thought someone might know if one build date or the other was for a Black Phantom so I could nail down the date of this bike. Appreciate any input . Thanks

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

Interesting. It doesn't have the new springer that came out in 1955, but it does have the 6 hole carrier and no light. The 56 Nov. serial number would most likely make it a 1957 built Phantom and it definitely would have the springer with the pivot bolt thru the fork legs. As far as I know the fork change was not a stop and start situation at the beginning of the 1955 production, so I'm going with the year being a 1955.

Interesting. It doesn't have the new springer that came out in 1955, but it does have the 6 hole carrier and no light. The 56 Nov. serial number would most likely make it a 1957 built Phantom and it definitely would have the springer with the pivot bolt thru the fork legs. As far as I know the fork change was not a stop and start situation at the beginning of the 1955 production, so I'm going with the year being a 1955.
Thank you very much. I'll go with 1955

Wasn't a locking fork an option on a 55 ? Otherwise, the pivot bolt would go through the fork, so a 55 could have either fork.
Yes the locking fork was an option for the 1955 phantom. All the phantoms through 1954 came standard with a locking fork. This one doesn’t have a locking fork. The situation here has shown up more than once over the years, so it seems the 55 phantoms were mixed with both styles of forks.

Last edited:
Back