When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Rudge

-

yosysfire

On Training Wheels
Hello all. I've been a lurker to the site for sometime and thanks for the wealth of info from everyone. I'm not new to bikes but I am new to older/vintage bicycles.
This is a 1955 Rudge I recently acquired. From what I can see it's original, aside from the front tube which was a Schrader valve. I think the shifting needs a little adjusted and/or oil added but other than that she rides smooth.
Does anyone recommend a place to purchase tires/tubes?

Thanks everyone!
Adam
20210531_185101.jpg
20210531_185143.jpg

20210531_185118.jpg

20210531_185118.jpg

Beautiful bike! The tires appear to be new(ish) Kendas, and they are perhaps the most commonly available replacement tires available now for 26 X 1-3/8 (ISO 590) size. I would leave them as is for awhile - or at least until you have your first flat. I see you have an original TCW hub. I have one bike with one, but have never opened it up (SirMike on here would be the expert). Regarding the hub, I would just add some oil and make sure the indicator spindle is adjusted correctly; there are a couple of ways to do this, but I generally follow the way described on the Sheldon Brown site: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_tech.html Good luck!

Beautiful bike! The tires appear to be new(ish) Kendas, and they are perhaps the most commonly available replacement tires available now for 26 X 1-3/8 (ISO 590) size. I would leave them as is for awhile - or at least until you have your first flat. I see you have an original TCW hub. I have one bike with one, but have never opened it up (SirMike on here would be the expert). Regarding the hub, I would just add some oil and make sure the indicator spindle is adjusted correctly; there are a couple of ways to do this, but I generally follow the way described on the Sheldon Brown site: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_tech.html Good luck!
Thanks. The tires and tubes I replaced today. The back blew out a couple hours after installed the new(ish) tires. The rear looked like it had some damage to the tire wall but was the only one I had so I went for it. I'd like to purchase a couple new tubes and tires to get back on the road. Should look for another set of Kendas?

Thanks!

-----

hello yosysfire & welcome to the forum ;)

Whoa!

Fabulous condition she's in; thanks so much for posting.

Always a treat to encounter The Hand of Ulster.

-----

The hand is nothing to do with Ulster @juvela.
It was originally the motif used by the 'Whitworth' company before they joined up with 'Rudge', to become 'Rudge-Whitworth'.

There is no association between any of these companies/founding families and Northern Ireland. There is a common misconception that the symbol was adopted because Rudge (motorcycles) had won the famous 'Ulster GP' race., and that Dan Rudge could trace his family history back to Ireland.

However, the periodical "Cycling" records in its 8th. August, 1891 edition, that trademark number 156827 was granted to Mr. Charles Henry Pugh of the Whitworth Works, Birmingham for use on " bicycles, tricycles and other velocipedes and parts of the same". Pugh is described as a screw and velocipede manufacturer, and he applied for the trademark of a raised hand on the background of a bicycle wheel.
(Information supplied by the Stratford-Rudge Co.).

The open hand was quite an ancient symbol used by businesses as a sign of honesty.

That Rudge is in fantastic condition, I prefer the 'red' versions personally. Or is yours "Chestnut Brown", one of the other options?
Hard to tell from your images on my phone.
So much nicer than the more common black examples!

Last edited:
That is in incredible condition, congratulations! I've been using the above 3inone 20 wt oil in 3 Sturmey Archer AW hubs and my New Departure model A on a teens bike. It works great in these hubs.

Enjoy that fine machine!

Back