When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Black Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

geodehunter

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have a 1955 Schwinn Black Phantom here that I'm slowly restoring. I noticed in the catalog info I have read it say's it has extra wide fenders. Is this the case with just the 55 model or do all the Phantom's have the extra wide fenders? If so how do I tell them apart from the rest of the Black Phantom bicycles. Is there such a thing as an easy way to tell them apart and does anybody know how wide they are supposed to be. Any help on tips or tricks on how to tell the apart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

All phantom fenders were the same in width.

The only difference would be if the bicycle has a locking fork or non locking fork. There was 2 different fenders used due to the type of fork.

On your 1955 phantom, what type of fork do you have?

That fender should be easy to find. Usually the non locking would be a harder one to find.

Especially since your restoring the bicycle. Find one and Rechrome it.

blincoe. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. Now at least I know the fenders shouldn't be to hard to find is a relief.

blincoe. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. Now at least I know the fenders shouldn't be to hard to find is a relief.

You may know this already, but just in case when
you shop for phantom fenders:

I own several phantoms from the '50s.
All have the fender braces riveted to the fender.
The repop Schwinn fenders use nut & screws.

The repop Schwinn fenders which I bought from
Memory Lane back in the '90s were very well
made. I did a comparison with my originals.
These fenders are slightly heavier but the quality excellent.
If anyone is promoting a Schwinn fender as "original"....in most instances, it should have
the braces riveted, otherwise it is a repop and
the price should be accordingly.

Last edited:
There is another feature that can be easily missed. In 55 Schwinn changed the fork design on pivot. In parts catalogs it's called 'New spring fork' Previously the mounting hole on fender to pivot was set back but in 55 and forward even too the last wide fenders Schwinn built, extra phantom wide or regular, it's about center under the fork tube . That's something that Schwinn skipped when making the 95 repop phantoms, they said it's 1952 reproduction but not, when you consider how the fender is mounted, that's 55 with centered mount under fork tube. Or did they? are some center mounted and others pre-55 types, not sure except my 55 is center mounted and 96-8 cruiser classic 7 with 95 phantom 'Centennial' frame including extra wide phantom fenders, and spring fork also made to fit a lock, is centered too. Albeit, I've checked and nobody knows of a repop fender to fit the pre-55 set back mounting hole, ya gotta drill a new hole, prepare for plenty rust, rot there or get an adapter made. . So, if you intend to replace with original parts verses repop then you need to get the fender hole mount to spring fork pivot right. Only 55 and forward or repop fenders does the trick on 1955's 'New spring fork' .

Last edited:
Schwinn went bankrupt in 1992 and the company was sold to Scott Sports Group in Boulder, CO. In 1995 they decided to create a reproduction of Schwinn Black Phantoms to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the company. Since they did not have all the original tooling, no specific year or
model was chosen. They created as close as possible to the Phantom from the ‘50s.The company AeroCycle Inc. was contracted to build these bikes in Ontario, California. At the time, Schwinn was only making two bikes still in the U.S….the Homegrown MTB and the Black Phantom.
I own one made in Calif. and the quality of material and durability is excellent. I don't know about the ones made in foreign countries.

Last edited:
I will be very honest. I don't have a clue what to look for on reproduction fenders. It's just a shame that Memory Lanes closed it's doors or I would have just bought the fenders from them. If you guy's know a place the sells good quality reproductions that would be correct fenders for my 55 would you please let me know. Otherwise I will just keep looking for a decent set in the classified ad's. Thanks Guy's you have been such a great help to me and I honestly do appreciate it.

@geodehunter

After 1955 they went cheap , they started using a non locking fork, 6 hole rack, smaller sprocket. They do not make a reproduction non locking front fender. The rear fenders are all the same. The only difference on the rear is where the reflector goes. It may have 2 holes or 1 hole. 2 holes would be for the deluxe one and 1 hole would be for the 3" reflector. Both would have a Schwinn script on it. Also stating Stimsonite AGA 12 (i believe) Reproduction would be plastic and an original would be glass? Correct me if I am wrong. I believe that is correct.

I would hit up @bicyclebones for a front reproduction fender if you wanting to go that route. I would stick with finding an original front fender and getting it re-chromed. Especially since you have a locking fork & wanting to restore the bicycle. Finding an original front locking fender should not be hard to find.

The way you can tell from reproduction fenders to original fenders is by the quality of the fender. Original fenders are so easy to bend and the edges are thin. Reproduction fenders are heavy duty and very hard to bend. I always fill the edge of a fender to see if its an original or reproduction phantom fender.

-Blincoe

Back