When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Black phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Having a BFG badge is appropriate with a late 55 date because, 55 is the year of Schwinn's 'New Style' springer. Yours has 'Old Style' and many Black Phantoms plus other models that were sold or distributed to other than Schwinn outlets or catalogs that were not Schwinn badge got their discontinued stock. Actually, there's Both, Schwinn badged and other than yet by late 1955 then, given that typically your bike would not have been built for a few months it was probably sold in 1956.

That might seem like a bad thing back then; Not having the newest best version but today it's good B/C There's no repop front fenders for the newest 1955-59 Phantoms. All of the repop 1995 Phantoms are based on the 52's and they'll fit on yours while the 1990's Schwinn Deluxe versions are based on 55 'New Style' springer and front fender that is narrower and came with plastic screw-on fender light housing with no light bucket. So, while it may seem redundant, it's good to know. Not just that but, in the repop arena, during 95-2002 Schwinn made special wide front and rear fenders to fit the 'Old Style' Phantom frame and springer on the Cruiser Deluxe with Nexis 7 (not to be confused with Schwinn's 'Deluxe 7' that has narrower fenders) but while it's properly wide, the front fender has no light bucket, only a black or red plastic screw-on fender.
the repop fenders are basically the same as the eariy ons on apearance and headlight,the mouning under the fork is diff because of the old and new angle of the fork legs,the newer crusiers came with the more narrow fenders and self contained plastic headlight,those fenders and headlight didnt exist in 1955,i think if you wanted a locking for in 55 you got the old style springer

Hey Manton what coaster brake does yours have?
New Departure

20220506_184115.jpg

Does anyone know what the bulb number is for the fender light I tried to look it up but didn't see anything. I would assume it is a 47 I was looking to switch in an led to make it brighter . I rebuilt the switch and resoldered the cloth wires but this thing is dull . Also my ground is good

Does anyone know what the bulb number is for the fender light I tried to look it up but didn't see anything. I would assume it is a 47 I was looking to switch in an led to make it brighter . I rebuilt the switch and resoldered the cloth wires but this thing is dull . Also my ground is good View attachment 1633457
To be honest I do not think these were ever intended to really light your way. More so it was a marker light for others to see you.

Back