When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Flying Star - Need help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
This 24" wheel Flying Star came in yesterday and I am trying to sort out the differences shown in the 1955 catalog pic/specs and what we have in the shop.

Album pics and more details here.

This bike is exceptionally clean with little wear but does have some oil flow. It came in because the rear hub is inoperable. So, while I am fixing that I wanted to properly identify this bike as the owner thinks it is a 1953 model, which is incorrect. I have no idea if any parts have been switched but it looks all original right down to the fixing bolts (except for the added headlight).

The conundrum is that it is a middleweight model with a balloon style double bar frame. The catalog pic shows a completely different single bar frame for the Flying Star model.

So is this a transitional frame? Anyone seen this variation before? Any red flags?

Thanks for looking!

20171010_094858.jpg

Well, a little difference in thought here. That is indeed a DX frame, and it could have been a leftover from '54. The 24" Flying Star (and the 20" model as well) were of the same frame design as the 26" inclusive of the single upper tube It is interesting that this one has the chainguard stating it to be a Flying Star. I have an example of all three sizes from '55 in the group here. The 24" one is a bit less common, but I have two of them.
The 26 was the first one I found and had join the group. Made a few minor changes (trusses, seat, and rack) and left alone.
The 20" was next, and I was having a 20" binge issue at the time so it ended up getting the remodel immediately on arrival, though in two phases. The fork was the second phase.
Then I started hunting the 24" one. The first one came from California and was pretty bare. It also had an issue with the front of the frame where the headtube was pushed back and had to be addressed. It is straightened out, but I hound another one more recently that appeared to be in overall better condition and it is now together and in red as well.

I also have a couple of 24" DX's - one a '52, the other a '56 - which brings me to your blue bike. I would need to look further at that frame as it shows a '54 S/N, but it looks to have the narrower bridge between the rear upper stays indicative of the '55 middleweight frames. I am very curious as to that width. It just seems odd that the frame is different than the ones I have as well as the brochure page in our photos shows the "F21 24" model" illustrated to look the same as the 26" but smaller.
That would not be the first of the weird things that have been found over the time I've been piddling with this. I also note that the bridge itself is of the coaster brake equipped style - unlike the Flying Star frames that used the flat raised bridge as would a normal multispeed model.
I also have a '46 balloon frame with the single top bar and the same coaster style bridge in the rear... just strange.
Maybe it was a "test fit?"

Photos, before and after:
First the 20"
R74986.jpg

55 R74986 B.JPG

Then the 24" ones (two different ones - one is not built as of this point:
55 T38733 A 24.jpg

55 F21 Flying Star 24 (2).JPG

24" #2
55 F21 Flying Star 24.jpg

IMG_1295.JPG

Then the 26":
SU1HMDE3MDEuanBn .jpg

DSC02149.JPG

REC

After studying the pictures very close I think that sweet Flying Star was built up by a professional. I do find it odd that a bike in that condition has a worn out chain ring. Just my observation but it appears the seat post and fender braces have been painted and the fenders do look like balloon pieces. The cable clamps look out of place but I'm comparing them to where they were located on the cantilever frames. The top clamp was closer to the head tube and rear clamp was closer to the bottom bracket. I see very little paint wear on the head tube from the steel cable and that's unusual in my experience. The cable routing on the left side of the seat mask at the BB would make sense but I've seen a Schwinn illustrated method of routing and it's on the right side. I have a 58 Corvette 2 speed manual and could never get it adjusted it to shift correctly until I routed the cable to the right side of the seat mask. Too much friction in the bend with an old cable might have been the issue there.
Are the fender braces actually riveted on or does it have the rivet head screws? The most concerning red flag to me is the wear on the chain ring compared to the looks of a hardly used super nice condition bike.

After studying the pictures very close I think that sweet Flying Star was built up by a professional. I do find it odd that a bike in that condition has a worn out chain ring. Just my observation but it appears the seat post and fender braces have been painted and the fenders do look like balloon pieces. The cable clamps look out of place but I'm comparing them to where they were located on the cantilever frames. The top clamp was closer to the head tube and rear clamp was closer to the bottom bracket. I see very little paint wear on the head tube from the steel cable and that's unusual in my experience. The cable routing on the left side of the seat mask at the BB would make sense but I've seen a Schwinn illustrated method of routing and it's on the right side. I have a 58 Corvette 2 speed manual and could never get it adjusted it to shift correctly until I routed the cable to the right side of the seat mask. Too much friction in the bend with an old cable might have been the issue there.
Are the fender braces actually riveted on or does it have the rivet head screws? The most concerning red flag to me is the wear on the chain ring compared to the looks of a hardly used super nice condition bike.

Thank you for your detailed observations.

Fender braces are riveted and they look good - not monkeyed with recently anyway. No over spray anywhere on the edges.

The cable clamps and routing looks suspicious as well to me.

The seat stay fender bridge is 2.5" wide (65mm). The fenders are 3" (74mm) wide.

I added another pic to the album. The headbadge was found to have a R symbol...it's at least from 1974. (edit - maybe not - still researching).

I am thinking it is a '54 Hornet or Spitfire frame with a 1955 Flying Star chainguard (or the original one was re-decaled) and Flying Star 2 speed wheelset.

Possibility?

20171010_124834.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a little difference in thought here. That is indeed a DX frame, and it could have been a leftover from '54. The 24" Flying Star (and the 20" model as well) were of the same frame design as the 26" inclusive of the single upper tube It is interesting that this one has the chainguard stating it to be a Flying Star. I have an example of all three sizes from '55 in the group here. The 24" one is a bit less common, but I have two of them.
The 26 was the first one I found and had join the group. Made a few minor changes (trusses, seat, and rack) and left alone.
The 20" was next, and I was having a 20" binge issue at the time so it ended up getting the remodel immediately on arrival, though in two phases. The fork was the second phase.
Then I started hunting the 24" one. The first one came from California and was pretty bare. It also had an issue with the front of the frame where the headtube was pushed back and had to be addressed. It is straightened out, but I hound another one more recently that appeared to be in overall better condition and it is now together and in red as well.

I also have a couple of 24" DX's - one a '52, the other a '56 - which brings me to your blue bike. I would need to look further at that frame as it shows a '54 S/N, but it looks to have the narrower bridge between the rear upper stays indicative of the '55 middleweight frames. I am very curious as to that width. It just seems odd that the frame is different than the ones I have as well as the brochure page in our photos shows the "F21 24" model" illustrated to look the same as the 26" but smaller.
That would not be the first of the weird things that have been found over the time I've been piddling with this. I also note that the bridge itself is of the coaster brake equipped style - unlike the Flying Star frames that used the flat raised bridge as would a normal multispeed model.
I also have a '46 balloon frame with the single top bar and the same coaster style bridge in the rear... just strange.
Maybe it was a "test fit?"

Photos, before and after:
First the 20"
View attachment 690169

View attachment 690170

Then the 24" ones (two different ones - one is not built as of this point:
View attachment 690171

View attachment 690172
24" #2
View attachment 690173

View attachment 690174
Then the 26":
View attachment 690195
View attachment 690186
REC
Awesome response! - Thanks for your help and posting those great pics. More info added on what it may be.

Did you ever resolve any of your questions on this piece?

JFYI, the serial number on this bike was also used again in 1956. So that may help with its actual ID.

08/04 to 08/08/1956 ------- L40552 ------------------- L64617

Over the years Schwinn used the DX style frame on some 24" Juvenile bikes where the big brother's 26" model had a different style frame. The Deluxe Tornado in the 24" frame used the DX style verses the straight bar frame. Here's an example of the 1955 Spitfire straight bar and the DX frames for the 24" & 20" Juvenile pieces.

1648942363764.png

I am pretty sure Flying Stars with the third bar have surfaced and been posted here before, looking original (not restored), but I am not sure they were 24. Might have been 26. Anyone remember that?

I don't recall the middleweight vs balloon issue coming up.

Back